Trumpets in Church

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
allenjblodgett

Trumpets in Church

Post by allenjblodgett »

I'm reading this section of the church handbook 2 about using brass in sacrament meetings. In your opinion, does that mean you could possibly use a trumpet if used as a worshipful sound? I've heard the organ taking a little bit more prominent role in a particular sound just as much as the trumpet. Then again, as we have been taught, it is the spirit of the law not the word of the law.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

AllenBlodgett wrote:I'm reading this section of the church handbook 2 about using brass in sacrament meetings. In your opinion, does that mean you could possibly use a trumpet if used as a worshipful sound? I've heard the organ taking a little bit more prominent role in a particular sound just as much as the trumpet. Then again, as we have been taught, it is the spirit of the law not the word of the law.
The way I read the letter of the law, where it says "Instruments with a prominent or less worshipful sound, such as most brass and percussion, are not appropriate for sacrament meeting," the subject of the sentence is "instruments" -- not the music they may be making. So instruments that fit in that category are not appropriate, regardless of the music. The trumpet certainly has the most prominent sound of any of the brass instruments, so I don't see how it could be used within the letter of the law.

However, in each ward and stake, there are leaders with priesthood keys to make decisions about specific situations, and I wouldn't think I could tell them how to decide such matters.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
davidmarmolejo

Post by davidmarmolejo »

So a pop brass emsable is out of the question? or a heavy metal Rock guitar ?

Well yea read that on the manual to i always wondered about trumpets on other
intruments.
LucySkyDiamond

Re: Trumpets in Church

Post by LucySkyDiamond »

I am also wondering if i can play my sax in sacrament. I have played some really beautiful peices that dont sound like they are disturbing to the spirit. The sax is technically a woodwind instrument but has a brassier sound that can be controled.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

See Handbook 2: 14.4.2. "Instruments with a prominent or less worshipful sound, such as most brass and percussion, are not appropriate for sacrament meeting."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

LucySkyDiamond wrote:I am also wondering if i can play my sax in sacrament. I have played some really beautiful peices that dont sound like they are disturbing to the spirit. The sax is technically a woodwind instrument but has a brassier sound that can be controled.
The decision regarding this rests with the presiding authority for the meeting after considering the instructions provided in the handbook and inspiration of the Spirit. Consult with your bishop.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Seems to me the operational word here is "most". Again, check with the Bishop. And if you are really sure that your piece, trumpet, sax, ect. might pass, play the piece for him and let him hear what you want to do.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's up to his bishop to decide, but I'd be stuck on the word "prominent".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

I just read the reference above, and noted the work 'prominent'. Also, I read about options for sources of accompaniments if organs/pianos are not available. On my mission to England in the mid '60s, we had a missionary who brought along his guitar on his mission (in fact there were at least two), and it came in very handy in a couple of small branches (or twigs as we called them) which had no piano etc, nor tape recorders (of course then they were all reel-to-reel), so he accompanied on his guitar. It was very spiritual. Of course we all know the story about Silent Night.

Return to “General Discussions”