Manage Photos > Crop: need to maintain proportions

Beta testing of the Local Unit Directory Application
mevans

Manage Photos > Crop: need to maintain proportions

Post by mevans »

When I do Manage Photos and try to crop a photo, the Adjust Photo dialog opens. The photo displayed in this dialog does not maintain the proportions of the original photo and is distorted. The photo displayed here should maintain the proportions of the uploaded photo.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Manage Photos > Crop: need to maintain proportions

Post by jdlessley »

mevans wrote:The photo displayed in this dialog does not maintain the proportions of the original photo and is distorted.
I will qualify that statement for my experience. I see a change to an original photo's proportions when the proportions exceed a predetermined value. For example, a 1050 x 250 pixel photo with a proportion of 4.2:1 was uploaded and the longer dimension was compressed, not cropped, such that the final ratio was 1.33:1. I have found in the limited number of uploads I have done that photos that fall within the range of approximately 1:1.33 (or 1.33:1) down to 1:1 retain the original photo proportions. When the proportions go beyond that then the larger dimension is compressed.

I didn't get to do many more than five photos before I ran into another problem that prevented further testing. I'll address the other problem in another thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mevans

Post by mevans »

One of the photos I uploaded was pretty much 1:1 (I'm in a different place now and don't have the photo to look at the exact pixel sizes). It gets stretched horizontally in this dialog.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is the trigger the proportions, or is it if one dimension (in pixels) is too large triggering "squeezing" along that line? That would explain why a "range" is OK.

Horizontal stretching could be vertical squishing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I really can't tell from the few tests I did. One photo was a 1050 x 250 pixels panorama photo and the other was a "normal" 1024 x 1545 pixels, vertically oriented photo. Both were compressed, or squished, along the larger dimension. A photo that was 400 x 564 pixels was unchanged as far as I can tell. The others were either right at 500 x 375 or just under that size.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
techguy

Post by techguy »

Hi,

My family photos are O.K. but the crop will not cut just the wasted top of the photo off as when cropped it also reduces the photo width, which was already O.K., but is now too small when I shorten the top. When I examine the individual family photo in the ward leadership directory, the mini photo is distorted (squashed top to bottom). When I click on it, it cuts the contact information on the bottom of the page off. This same picture worked on this sequence of tests on the old directory. Using 1024 x 768 resolution @ 32 colors, ATI Radeon HD 4600.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Just tried some cropping.... Still dodgy as others have reported. If this isn't fixed before it is released from beta, most cropping will have to be done before the photos are loaded....which is no big thing...

Return to “Beta Directory”