Multiple Instructor Support?

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
chris_hazeldine

Multiple Instructor Support?

Post by chris_hazeldine »

In our ward we have 2 instructors for Gospel Doctrine that rotate - we have been putting the schedules in the Calendar however was looking at the beta to see if it is going to make life a bit easier.

From what I can see once I add an instructor to a class there is no further option to add additional instructors, am I missing something or is this a feature request that is on the cards?
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

chris_hazeldine wrote:
From what I can see once I add an instructor to a class there is no further option to add additional instructors, am I missing something or is this a feature request that is on the cards?
Same situation in our ward. Not a super big deal considering we've always managed who is teaching among our presidency, but if we start using this 100% then I could see some people wanting their name added to the instructor list (thus giving them the ability to change lessons according to the help documentation and relieving some administrative burden on the EQ presidency).

For now we are just putting the one instructor on individual lessons and leaving the main instructor field blank.
mstauff

Post by mstauff »

You should be able to set an instructor for the course, and then on the weeks that the other instructor is teaching just assign them as the instructor for that lesson. I'm not sure if that gives them any editing privileges for that lesson, but at least the one instructor that is assigned for the course should be able to manage lessons.
bsgillis

Multiple instructors for same lesson

Post by bsgillis »

In some organizations such as the YM, the same lesson is being taught at the same time by three different people -Once for each quorum. It would be nice to be able to add multiple instructors so I know who is teaching the Deacons, Teachers, and Priests. A less desirable option would be to be able to put in something generic like "YM Presidency Member" or Quorum Member" or "Assistant Adviser".
The field is a free form field that will let me put in multiple names or a generic label, but they do not save.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bsgillis wrote:The field is a free form field that will let me put in multiple names or a generic label, but they do not save.

The Instructor field may look like "a free form field" but it is not. It's a lookup field. If you type in something like "Jen" and then pause for a second or two, you'll see an auto-complete list appear below it with options like "Jensen" "Jenkins" and "Jennifer". Only a name that you pick from the resulting list can actually be saved.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bsgillis wrote:In some organizations such as the YM, the same lesson is being taught at the same time by three different people -Once for each quorum.
You can create a class for each quorum. When you have enough young men in each quorum to hold separate classes then having separate lesson schedules may be a good idea. You can then identify the instructors for each lesson in each quorum. While the lessons may parallel one another there are times when the lesson for the priests is not appropriate for the deacons. Having separate classes listed then makes the adjustments on the dates different lessons are taught easy to handle.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

We've had numerous requests for this functionality so it's on our to-do list for a future release of Lesson Schedules.
QA Engineer
lydial

YM/YW Classes

Post by lydial »

jdlessley wrote:You can create a class for each quorum. When you have enough young men in each quorum to hold separate classes then having separate lesson schedules may be a good idea. You can then identify the instructors for each lesson in each quorum. While the lessons may parallel one another there are times when the lesson for the priests is not appropriate for the deacons. Having separate classes listed then makes the adjustments on the dates different lessons are taught easy to handle.
It would be easier for me as the YW President to just add all the teachers to the lesson date instead of having three separate class schedules to make sure I have updated and correct all the time. We don't go straight through the manual because we move lessons to coordinate with that months activities.
We meet all together twice a month and have separate classes the other two weeks. We all follow the same lesson schedule, but the individual teacher adapts to the age group (meaning the same lesson # is taught, but with individual class adaptation).

It would be really nice to list multiple teachers on one class list and manage it from one place instead of taking time to do it on three class lists. I dont think I would use it if I had to do it three times to keep it updated.
failproof

Post by failproof »

Lydial wrote:I dont think I would use it if I had to do it three times to keep it updated.

Something to keep in mind... it doesn't have to be you that does it. Your entire presidency could be set up as administrators, and then it could be something you delegate to your secretary. That said, you and your ward certainly have the agency to use it the way that suits you and the flexibility to change the way you are doing it at any time.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Lydial wrote:It would be easier for me as the YW President to just add all the teachers to the lesson date instead of having three separate class schedules to make sure I have updated and correct all the time. ... It would be really nice to list multiple teachers on one class list and manage it from one place instead of taking time to do it on three class lists. I dont think I would use it if I had to do it three times to keep it updated.
Concerns such as this have been brought up in earlier threads on this forum. There are a few approaches the church could take to improve this, or they could choose to leave it the way it is. I think we all have to wait in suspense for the next release and see what changes.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”