Beta Newsletter

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
SorensonMi
Church Employee
Church Employee

Beta Newsletter

Post by SorensonMi »

The beta version of the new Newsletter application will be available mid-February. This will replace the News and Information section that is currently available on the Classic Stake & Ward Websites.

Please keep the following in mind when working with the Newsletter beta and when posting on this forum:
1. When submitting a post to report a bug or issue, please include as much detail as possible. Please ensure that it will be easy to understand and reproduce if possible by our development team. See below for complete instructions on how to report a bug or issue.
2. Please be patient and kind. Remember we are a small team with limited resources, trying to build a tool that meets the needs of many different unit types across the world.

The purpose of this forum is to provide a mechanism for you, as beta testers, to get information about the problems you find to the development team directly. We hope to use this type of beta test in the future to improve the quality of all the tools we provide to church units.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR POSTING A BUG OR OTHER ISSUE:

If you find an issue in this application, following these instructions and being patient and helpful will greatly increase the chances of that issue being addressed by the development team.
1. Provide a clear, easy to follow list of steps to reproduce the issue you are reporting.
2. Provide as much additional detail as possible (e.g. your calling and/or role within the application)
3. Be clear as to whether the problem happens every time, once in a while, only a single instance, etc.
4. If you are familiar with web development and comfortable using a tool like firebug, provide as much additional technical information as you can discover.
5. If your issue seems to be a display issue, or other issue on the client side, you may want to try your issue in another browser to determine if it is browser specific or not.
6. Be prepared to respond to additional questions on the forum to help us investigate the problem.

NOTE ON PRIVACY

As you share information on the forum, be VERY careful not to inadvertently share private information about other members of your local unit(s), such as names, membership numbers, or contact information. If you paste data from the application into a forum post, make sure it does not contain any of this private information before clicking the submit button.

Feel free to explore the Newsletter app in as many ways as you like. We will retain the articles, categories, and other settings that you enter. Content will not be reset or deleted when the application becomes official. However, you can always delete articles that you create.

Finally, thank you so much for your help in making this a successful, useful application.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Was there an Old Newsletter application? What is the intended use of the application? What functions will it provide, this is the first I believe I'm hearing about this... am I missing something?
SorensonMi
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by SorensonMi »

This will replace the News and Information section that is currently available on the Classic Stake & Ward Websites.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Wonderful! I have high hopes, but low expectations for this application, glad to have it coming though, I really hope to be pleasantly surprised.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I tried to sign up to be a beta tester but the Newsletter isn't listed as a project yet.... Coming soon?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:I tried to sign up to be a beta tester but the Newsletter isn't listed as a project yet.... Coming soon?
Let's not get overanxious -- no one said that it is available now. What was actually said was:
SorensonMi wrote:The beta version of the new Newsletter application will be available mid-February.

I'm sure there will be a followup announcement when it is available. If it's like the Lesson Scheduler beta, there will be no project to sign up for. There will simply be an announcement of what the URL is, and we'll be invited to use the application and report back on this section of the forum.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

aebrown wrote:Let's not get overanxious -- no one said that it is available now. What was actually said was:

I'm sure there will be a followup announcement when it is available. If it's like the Lesson Scheduler beta, there will be no project to sign up for. There will simply be an announcement of what the URL is, and we'll be invited to use the application and report back on this section of the forum.
In the article on the coming Newsletter app on home page of this tech site, it talks about the application and gives specific directions for signing up to be a tester by going to the projects list... And, yes, I know I get in a hurry when something good like is announced.......
tolpster

Anticipating the Newletter

Post by tolpster »

It will be nice when the Beta Newsletter comes out, so I can check it out. As the Ward Website admin, all these new tools have made my job alot easier! This newsletter will be a real benefit for us.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

zaneclark wrote:In the article on the coming Newsletter app on home page of this tech site, it talks about the application and gives specific directions for signing up to be a tester by going to the projects list... And, yes, I know I get in a hurry when something good like is announced.......

Yes, you can sign up for the Local Unit Application Beta Testing project (not the Newsletter project) right now. If you do they've said they will send notifications of when new beta tests are available (for all of the local unit applications--not just the newsletter). But as aebrown has said, in the past this hasn't been required in order to actually beta test. So far anyone who wants to can try it out.

Note also that the title for the article you saw does say the Newsletter beta will be available mid-February as well.
marmat

Post by marmat »

Would love to sign up with this, but when I go to Projects and then sign in get the following message:

"This e-mail is already registered. If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link and a new password will be sent to you."

My LDS Account is working OK on other services on LDS.org.

Return to “Beta Newsletter”