using Directions

Beta testing of maps.lds.org
jacobstimpson

using Directions

Post by jacobstimpson »

I searched for Dietrich, chose the Dietrich Branch and clicked directions. I chose my starting location as 50 E North Temple Salt Lake City UT 84150.

It fails to do anything.

IE9 win7 64bit
jacobstimpson

Post by jacobstimpson »

trying to use the switch diretion button has no effect either.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jacobstimpson wrote:I searched for Dietrich, chose the Dietrich Branch and clicked directions. I chose my starting location as 50 E North Temple Salt Lake City UT 84150.

It fails to do anything.

I tried this on Firefox 9.0.1, and IE 9. It worked fine -- it created the set of directions and displayed a map with the route highlighted as I expected.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jacobstimpson wrote:trying to use the switch diretion button has no effect either.
I can confirm that problem. The tooltip shows "???apps.directions.header.waypoints.reverse.tooltip???" (missing the translated text, perhaps?) and clicking the button does nothing. Most of the other buttons don't work properly, either -- clicking the "Get Directions" button again blanks the text fields and also removes the displayed directions and route map.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ggconrad

Post by ggconrad »

I'm having problems with the Directions application, too. I click on a household marker and click the Directions link, and it opens the Directions pane. I then put my name in for the starting location. I click the Get Directions button and search results appear (60% of the time this takes 1 or 2 minutes, 25% of the time this takes 3-5 minutes, 10% of the time this takes significantly longer, 10% of the time there are no results displayed). I then re-click the Get Directions button and nothing ever happens, even when I click on it several times.
If I start more from scratch, inputting an individual's name in the destination and my name in the starting location, things become more haphazard and longer. If I am able to get search results for both "A" and "B", the above circumstances play out for each, taking twice as long. But again, in the end, it is all in vain, as the directions (both text and path) never appear.
It might be useful to point out that, with the above, whenever it is able to discern both points, the place markers for both "A" and "B" always appear.
Also if I get rid of names and input only addresses, the place markers, text directions, and map route appear within 3-5 minutes 80% of the time.
Oh, and the Reverse Directions button never works.
ggconrad

Post by ggconrad »

In order to alleviate some of the trouble with getting Search Results to both process and appear (especially in a timely manner), I would recommend that the Directions pane appear in addition to the normal selections pane (inside My Ward & Stake app), either to the immediate right of the selections pane or along the map's far-right side. Some of the lower buttons on the selection pane might be moved to the lower part of the newly displayed directions pane so that the selections pane will take less space and the actual, viewable map window space can be maximized. I would suggest the two-pane approach so that the user can click on a place marker, view its information, and click its Directions link. This, however, would then need two Directions links (one for Directions To and one for Directions From). This would allow the user to easily and quickly access starting and ending locations without having to go through the extra trouble of search results, remembering or copying addresses to put inside the Directions fields, or searching the Directory (or additional, separately-opened Map window) for the member's name or, probably more to the point, the correct spelling of the individual's, household's, meeting house's, or other destination's name.
It would probably be helpful if the zip code came after the state name in the search fields, as is normal practice when addressing mail.
erinbourgeous
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by erinbourgeous »

jacobstimpson wrote:trying to use the switch diretion button has no effect either.
Thanks, this has been fixed.
Erin Bourgeous
Quality Assurance Engineer, LDS Church
ggconrad

Post by ggconrad »

Place markers A and B now appear quickly and easily when I enter starting location through right-clicking on household marker, type a person's name in for the ending location, and then hit "Get Directions". However, the actual directions (both text and map route) still never come up.

Return to “Beta Maps”