No Support for iOS 9.#?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
geysser

Re: No Support for iOS 9.#?

Post by geysser »

It's clear, the Church wants every one to by a new ipad if they want to use LDS Tools. Either that or they need to get new developers that can anticipate these issues. I assume there are a lot of ipads out there that can't upgrade to IOS 10. My guess is that it's not a small minority. Not impressed.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

geysser wrote:It's clear, the Church wants every one to by a new ipad if they want to use LDS Tools. Either that or they need to get new developers that can anticipate these issues. I assume there are a lot of ipads out there that can't upgrade to IOS 10. My guess is that it's not a small minority. Not impressed.
Older ios and android software has security flaws that put member's privacy data at risk. The problem is not the church, it is Apple and Android who do not allow security updates for obsolete hardware. I'm pretty sure you would not be happy if your private data was compromised because the church allowed LDSTools on obsolete devices with known security flaws that the Apple and Android are unwilling to fix.

I have an older android device that can no longer get the latest LDSTools. Is it a bit inconvenient? Yes. Am I unhappy with the church about it? No. They made a decision to protect my privacy so I am grateful for their foresight.
seerelee2

Post by seerelee2 »

We have recently dealt with the issue with the android 4G phone and tablet. A warning would have prevented us from going around in circles trying to figure it all out. I finally found this link and understand the issue.
I had a little laugh thinking about how things used to be; the Ward lists we hung tight to for example. It's a little like the government giving something and then they can't take it away.. So, I guess, until we can afford an upgrade on our phones or tablets we will just have to go back to paper. Fortunately, all the other good stuff like family search and the amazing Gospel Library still work for us..
jon.devine@gmail.com

Post by jon.devine@gmail.com »

Reading the Security issues for why Apple stopped supporting the chipset and stopped supporting these devices does not seem to be linked to the security of the LDS app its self - but more to do with accessing the ipad from locked screen and also web browsers....since the app is stand alone its a shame it is no longer compatible or basic functions like calendar are no longer accessable to individuals that cannot afford to stay up to date on these devices. Not that printing paper member lists is any more "secure". Its a shame the church like apple have not been more transparent about these things...looks like ill have one less member using these tools. Shame.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”