LDS Tools directory shows birth year and age

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
smconvey

LDS Tools directory shows birth year and age

Post by smconvey »

I have clerk privileges, so I understand why this may be visible in my LDS Tools login. However, our HP Group 1st Assistant also sees the age and birth year for members of our ward. Is that right?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: LDS Tools directory shows birth year and age

Post by sbradshaw »

Is he seeing ages and birth years for everyone, or just high priests in the ward?
Last edited by sbradshaw on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

smconvey wrote:I have clerk privileges, so I understand why this may be visible in my LDS Tools login. However, our HP Group 1st Assistant also sees the age and birth year for members of our ward. Is that right?
Does he see if for all members of the ward or for just High Priests? If he can only see that for HPs then it is probably right.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might also double-check and see if he has any other callings that might give him rights.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I am the HPGL. I can see all birthdays of all members of my ward (adults and children, male and female). I can see no birthdays of members of other wards in my Stake.

My Wife is the Ward Organist, and Primary Chorister (and several others, but we won't go there... lol). She cannot see any birthdays for anyone - adults or children.

We are both on Android versions of LDSTools. I cannot answer for the HP Assistants (we have been a little short in that arena), but list my experience above as a reference.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:I am the HPGL. I can see all birthdays of all members of my ward (adults and children, male and female).
Just to be clear, birthdays or birthdates/age? Big difference in privacy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Just to be clear, birthdays or birthdates/age? Big difference in privacy.
With the latest update of LDS Tools a few days ago, I received access to some additional information about members that seems to me to be commensurate with the level of my particular calling at the moment.

I previously had birthdate and age. Now I have enough additional information that I wondered if there had been a policy change.

Others in callings different than mine did not gain access to all of the information that was given to me. But another person in a position the same as mine gained the same access I received.

I suspect that there has been a review of access permission levels that has resulted in many of these changes.
BBonhard

Post by BBonhard »

The Release Notes for 2.4.0 dated 02 March 2015 (https://www.lds.org/help/support/lds-to ... ng#android) give some indication of new Leadership abilities: "Added access to additional membership information and reports for ward council members and their counselors and secretaries", and another indicates "... ability to view birthdays grouped by age". Interesting that more personal information is now available on mobile devices. I am a technology guy, I work as a systems programmer/analyst at a large world-wide company, and I use a lot of tech. It seems like there are securities in place, but I don't have a full warm and fuzzy about having our personal information going mobile. Is there a detailed write-up any where that describes the specific additional information access that has been given to what specific leader types?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hopefully anyone with access to sensitive information will be required to have a PIN on LDS Tools.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Hopefully anyone with access to sensitive information will be required to have a PIN on LDS Tools.
I have to enter a pin every time I start LDS Tools. And once a month I am required to sync, which forces me to enter my LDS Account sign in and password credentials again.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”