Feature request, LCR groups in LDS Tools

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
chriswoodut

Feature request, LCR groups in LDS Tools

Post by chriswoodut »

LCR has the ability to let users email the ward council (those users with access to do so). The question has come up about being able to text people from LCR. Since you can only text through LDS Tools, the question came up about having visibility of the Ward Council group as a list on LDS tools so members of the ward council could text the ward council from LDS tools.

I know people can create their own "list" on LDS Tools so they can text the list, but everyone maintaining their own lists of the ward council isn't tenable with callings changing occasionally. The ward council list already exists on LCR -- it just needs to flow down to LDS Tools. There may be other lists that are also only visible on LCR.

SMS/MMS really does have its limitations though.... I know ATT has a 10 person group MMS limit. I don't know if there's another way to achieve the same thing without using SMS. I'm sure it would be weird to have LDS Tools have its own messaging functionality.
chriswoodut

Re: Feature request, LCR groups in LDS Tools

Post by chriswoodut »

This same need came up today but for email groups this time (think listserv). I hate to use a third party tool when the provided tools could be improved to support such functionality. I also hate to manually maintain lists based on callings in a 3rd party tool -- ack, so manual, so painful.
datbates

Post by datbates »

We are needing this as well. I am texting using an app on my phone after painfully extracting numbers from LCR. Less and less members read email, and texting is the only way to make sure we can reach everyone. Please add a texting engine for us to use from "Send a Message", or at the very least make it so it is easy to export the numbers to our own tools.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

A couple years ago I had a need to text a large group. I wanted a way to automate. The closest thing I found that worked for me was https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/a ... 0232482012. The one downside is that the phone # the text comes from can not be replied to. The upside is that it uses a google doc for its source and you can customize the message if you want per # you are sending a text to.

There may be newer options from other entities but this worked for the 2 times I've needed it.

Return to “Member Tools”