LDS Tools not syncing

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
geysser

Re: LDS Tools not syncing

Post by geysser »

lajackson wrote:
dfagerburg wrote:I am using an iPhone 4S with an iOS 9.3.5. . . . we can only commiserate with each other
Sadly, with the latest security requirements, it appears that LDS Tools now requires iOS 10 or better.
When you go to download, it asks if you want to download an older compatible version. Apparently it doesn't.
geysser

Post by geysser »

dfagerburg wrote:So how do we get the attention of anyone at headquarters who might really be bale to solve the problem? There does not seem to be any way to just send a message and get a reply. do they not care?
It needs to go to a General Authority level. The developers will then get the message. The developers aren't aware that many church members need functionality in ios9 to do their callings. General Authorities understand and most likely unaware of the hardship it may place on members.

Developers must believe that they can force members to buy new equipment. Our family has 3 ipads that can't be upgraded to ios10. I wonder what they tell members in situations like these? "Ought of luck, go upgrade to new equipment".
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

geysser wrote:It needs to go to a General Authority level. The developers will then get the message. The developers aren't aware that many church members need functionality in ios9 to do their callings. General Authorities understand and most likely unaware of the hardship it may place on members.
It has gone to a General Authority level. And the developers got the message, which was that they have to conform to legal requirements and industry standards for protecting confidential information so that we can protect members' personal data and protect the Church.

Contrary to what you may believe, there aren't a bunch of developers sitting around in a dark room making random decisions on their own and deciding they don't want to bother with iOS 9. The developers, the product managers, and the councils responsible for these products are quite aware of the number of Church members who are affected by the decision to not support older versions of iOS and Android.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I don't mean to sound flippant to some of the posts, but I do not own a smart phone and I function quite nicely in my calling as ward clerk, thank you very much.

True, there are some things that are more convenient with a smart phone (I do have a older tablet that won't update to current LDSTools), but EVERYTHING we MUST do for our calling can be done without a smart phone (or even a computer in our home).

I am grateful for the tools and for all the hard work. I can chose to upgrade my device to take advantage of the technology, or I can choose to fulfill my calling the same way it was done before the technology came about (and the way many still do it today). We have a number of people in our ward who do not have latest technology. Some have no technology. I accommodate them in their callings by printing the reports they need from the church computer whenever they ask. It would be really sad to not be blessed by their spirit and righteousness if they believed they could not serve without technology.
geysser

Post by geysser »

What in ios9 makes it impossible for member / church security?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

geysser wrote:What in ios9 makes it impossible for member / church security?
Someone else who knows ios9 may have more information, but in general, I believe the obsolete operating systems have known security flaws that the OS manufacturer is unwilling to patch. Such security flaws put any membership data on said device at risk for a data breach. I suspect it is this risk that the church has decided is more important to address than individual convenience. This is not a church problem - Apple and Android could patch their obsolete software but they choose not to so your complaint should be with them.

But I'm just a ward clerk in Oklahoma and have no insight into why the decisions were made the way they were made - this is my opinion based on reading lots of the posts.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

geysser wrote:What in ios9 makes it impossible for member / church security?
That was certainly the case for Android.

I'm not sure what the situation is for ios9. It might be that Apple's rules for apps forced the change to a newer method that caused ios9 to no longer be supported for the revised app. The shutdown of the old HT/VT servers caused the older app to quit working.

While we like to think of the church as extending consideration and charity to all, there's also the consideration of the window's mite. How much money should the church spend to accommodate a small percentage with old devices? Especially when many of them will get replaced in a year's time?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
yanick.rochon

Post by yanick.rochon »

Been trying to sync for 3 days, now I can't even open the app. What's going on??
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

yanick.rochon wrote:Been trying to sync for 3 days, now I can't even open the app. What's going on??
I'm sure that's what the folks who are working on it would like to know. If they knew that, they could fix it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Member Tools”