LDS Tools - Add "My home and visiting teachers" to all members own profile page

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
jamesarnellgale

LDS Tools - Add "My home and visiting teachers" to all members own profile page

Post by jamesarnellgale »

My wife is in a leadership calling and as such has access to see a lot more information than me.
One feature that those in a leadership position have that I think all members should have access to is the names and contact information of their own home and visiting teachers.
Is this a plausible future feature?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Tools - Add "My home and visiting teachers" to all members own profile page

Post by russellhltn »

jamesarnellgale wrote:Is this a plausible future feature?
Only if approved by the priesthood department.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WilfordEJ

Re: LDS Tools - Add "My home and visiting teachers" to all members own profile page

Post by WilfordEJ »

You know, this would be a very nice feature to have, and I can't for the life of me understand why it is not there. It would also be nice for the individual member to sign in and see their home/visiting teaching assignment as well. It is kind of silly in this day and age that we still have to rely on handing out a paper printed handout for this type of thing. As a priesthood leader, that's just more unnecessary administrative overhead on my part that I have to go through.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WilfordEJ wrote:You know, this would be a very nice feature to have, and I can't for the life of me understand why it is not there.
HT/VT isn't just a grocery list or task list. (Yes, the statistics gathered tends to reduce it to that.) The decision as to what is available to the end users is not made by the developers, but by the Priesthood Department. Since the information is there for the leaders, I doubt if there's any technical reason why it's not available to the members.

My personal theory is that the Brethren will not approve anything that shortcuts the personal contact in handing out assignments or in reporting back. We've already been told there will be no electronic reporting by the end membership.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ajh77

Post by ajh77 »

I agree with everything that has been said. This is something that really needs to happen to help people fulfill their HT and VT responsibilities.

All members should have access to is the names and contact information of their own home and visiting teachers and those they are responsible for.

I know this has been discussed but the bigger this thread gets, hopefully we get some more attention to the matter. Our local leaders and members would really like this feature.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ajh77 wrote:I know this has been discussed but the bigger this thread gets, hopefully we get some more attention to the matter.
It doesn't work that way. First, the church doesn't run by popular vote. Second, none of the decision makers or their assistants look here.

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I create a list, easy, easy, sure better than the old days when I was forced to remember them by writing it down or having a printout. Bet I've saved myself dozens of minutes remembering who exactly I home teach.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
margolies

Post by margolies »

If the point is to serve and be served it seems lost on those refusing to add this simple functionality. HT would go up if people could easily see who their Home Teachers are. I cannot count how many members have said "if I knew who my HTs were I'd call them, ask them for blessings instead of always going to Ward leaders" etc.

Letting us see this would increase our ability to bless each other's lives. The current system diminishes it and makes personal contact more difficult.

I guess we just have to wait for more of the old guard move on before there is enough leaders who do not fear technology to let it advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't think it's a technology issue. The features are already there, but just restricted to leadership.

We don't know the reasons, we can only speculate. But if a member doesn't know who their HT/VT are, then those teachers have already failed to carry out their responsibilities outlined in the Handbook.

Return to “Member Tools”