LDS Tools no longer updating or available on Kindle

Any discussions around the LDS Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
gloriajf1952

Re: LDS Tools no longer updating or available on Kindle

Postby gloriajf1952 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:01 pm

I am sorry I purchased my new tablet 8. I purchased this strictly for my LDS Gospel Library and all other learning tools. I have recently become a member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints", 2 weeks ago. Had I known certain Apps are in issue with your product I would have made a different choice.

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 am

gloriajf1952 wrote:I am sorry I purchased my new tablet 8. I purchased this strictly for my LDS Gospel Library and all other learning tools. I have recently become a member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints", 2 weeks ago. Had I known certain Apps are in issue with your product I would have made a different choice.

I believe Gospel Library still works on the Kindle (I don't own a Kindle so am just going on memory from other posts). This thread is about LDSTools which is not used for gospel study. LDSTools is the app that lists the members of your ward, your ministering assignments, who the ward leaders are, etc.

Newer Kindles run an Android OS version that "should" meet the minimum LDSTools requirement for OS version, but the Kindle OS is highly customized and there may be something that makes it difficult for the church to support it on LDSTools with the very small development team they have (I don't think anyone on this user-to-user help forum knows for sure, based on reading most of the posts on this subject).

RBiddle

Postby RBiddle » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:28 am

I am able to get LDS tools on my phone (Samsung)

parryraylene1

Postby parryraylene1 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:08 pm

I am looking to updating my tablet wanting to find out the best for operating gospel library, lds tools, and family tree could anyone give me some advice on what size of tablet and the size. I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab E lite 7" 8 GB Tablet- Android 4.4 (Kit Kat) it will support the gospel library but not lds tools. Advice please!!

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:54 pm

parryraylene1 wrote:I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab E lite 7" 8 GB Tablet- Android 4.4 (Kit Kat) it will support the gospel library but not lds tools. Advice please!!

I'm surprised that Samsung is still selling devices with Android 4.4. I though it was just the no-name bargain-basement companies that were doing that. As it is, it seems like the "bargain-basement" types are on 7 (but I'm seeing reports of speed and display issues.)

You need to find something with a newer OS. Preferably Android 8 or 9. At least get 7.

Looking at BestBuy's website, it appears you can get a DigiLand - 10.1" for the same price as it's selling the Samsung Galaxy Tab E lite 7" and the reviews seem to rate it equally as well. I know nothing about the brand. I'm just going by what I see on the website.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:59 pm

parryraylene1 wrote:I am looking to updating my tablet wanting to find out the best for operating gospel library, lds tools, and family tree could anyone give me some advice on what size of tablet and the size. I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab E lite 7" 8 GB Tablet- Android 4.4 (Kit Kat) it will support the gospel library but not lds tools. Advice please!!

You should first check if you can update the OS. I am not familiar with this model, but you should be able to go into your settings and check for OS updates. If the hardware will support Android 5, you might be able to update it at no charge.

Purchasing an older tablet will be lower cost, but it will likely be abandoned by the OS manufacturer sooner. You should consider that in your decision - if an OS is already half-way to obsolescence (and could then lose access to LDSTools due to unpatched security problems), it might be worth it to you to spend a little more and have a tablet that will last a year or two longer before it will have to be replaced.

Return to “LDS Tools”