LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Any discussions around the LDS Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
rodeab
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Postby rodeab » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Hello developers,

It's true that sacred funds need to be treated as such and that the Lord would inspire things for certain reasons that we don't see yet. However, this being the case, would it help to bring it back if there were more volunteer developers or is the "end of life" of such a nature that the Lord would still inspire it to be discontinued? I don't want to be like the people with the Brother of Jared who pushed for something they shouldn't have and against what the Lord has inspired, because of something nefarious (designs of wicked men) that we can not see. If it's also a matter of more volunteers helping to get it back then I would gladly put the word out there. There are people in my ward alone that have the skills.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 3866
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Postby sbradshaw » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 am

rodeab wrote:Hello developers,

It's true that sacred funds need to be treated as such and that the Lord would inspire things for certain reasons that we don't see yet. However, this being the case, would it help to bring it back if there were more volunteer developers or is the "end of life" of such a nature that the Lord would still inspire it to be discontinued? I don't want to be like the people with the Brother of Jared who pushed for something they shouldn't have and against what the Lord has inspired, because of something nefarious (designs of wicked men) that we can not see. If it's also a matter of more volunteers helping to get it back then I would gladly put the word out there. There are people in my ward alone that have the skills.

The Gospel Library for Windows project is always looking for additional volunteer help. I don't think LDS Tools for Windows would be considered while Gospel Library for Windows is still struggling to keep up, for lack of volunteer availability. If you know Windows developers who would be interested in helping with Church projects, send them to Gospel Library for Windows, and if they get to the point where there are more than enough volunteers for Gospel Library, then the Gospel Library for Windows team could suggest that LDS Tools be re-evaluated.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 24410
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Postby russellhltn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:04 am

rodeab wrote:However, this being the case, would it help to bring it back if there were more volunteer developers or is the "end of life" of such a nature that the Lord would still inspire it to be discontinued?

I could be wrong, but my impression of the situation is that since LDS Tools handles confidential information, it would have to go though some kind of security testing. This is independent of development effort. There's a cost associated with that testing that the church was unwilling to fund.

The focus of things like LDS Tools seems to have always been on hand-held devices, such as smart phones. Larger devices can use the website. In the handheld market, Windows has a very small market share. And in fact, Microsoft had dropped the moble version of Windows.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

rodeab
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Postby rodeab » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 pm

sbradshaw wrote:The Gospel Library for Windows project is always looking for additional volunteer help. I don't think LDS Tools for Windows would be considered while Gospel Library for Windows is still struggling to keep up, for lack of volunteer availability. If you know Windows developers who would be interested in helping with Church projects, send them to Gospel Library for Windows, and if they get to the point where there are more than enough volunteers for Gospel Library, then the Gospel Library for Windows team could suggest that LDS Tools be re-evaluated.


Hello Brother Bradshaw,

I appreciate the quick reply and the insight. That all makes sense. Where exactly would you like me to send people?

Are you one of the three main developers?

rodeab
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Postby rodeab » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:18 pm

russellhltn wrote:I could be wrong, but my impression of the situation is that since LDS Tools handles confidential information, it would have to go though some kind of security testing. This is independent of development effort. There's a cost associated with that testing that the church was unwilling to fund.

The focus of things like LDS Tools seems to have always been on hand-held devices, such as smart phones. Larger devices can use the website. In the handheld market, Windows has a very small market share. And in fact, Microsoft had dropped the moble version of Windows.


Hello Russel,

thank you for that insight. Perhaps if there are enough developers at GLW there might be enough people to do what is needed to make sure the security is done properly to keep the official security test fees to a minimum. So, could it be a matter of a large donation to cover the costs of the testing? What is the price tag on something like that? Who does this "official testing"? Time frame, etc?

Yes, I saw that about windows mobile.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 3866
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Postby sbradshaw » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:32 am

rodeab wrote:I appreciate the quick reply and the insight. That all makes sense. Where exactly would you like me to send people?

Are you one of the three main developers?

This is the LDSTech project page for Gospel Library for Windows:
https://tech.lds.org/projects?controller=projects&view=project&Projectid=157

After joining the project, volunteers can send an email to one of the project managers listed on the project page.

I'm not a developer, but I join their weekly phone call and try to help where I can.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

lessilvan
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Re: LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Postby lessilvan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 pm

I know I was able to get LDS tools on my surface January 2017 but had to reload my system and cannot get LDS Tools now. I know they updated it on Android, I hope it comes back to the Microsoft store soon.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 24410
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Postby russellhltn » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:52 pm

lessilvan wrote:I hope it comes back to the Microsoft store soon.

Hope springs eternal, but given what what we've been told, it will not return in the foreseeable future.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

rodeab
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Postby rodeab » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:25 pm

sbradshaw wrote:This is the LDSTech project page for Gospel Library for Windows:
https://tech.lds.org/projects?controller=projects&view=project&Projectid=157

After joining the project, volunteers can send an email to one of the project managers listed on the project page.

I'm not a developer, but I join their weekly phone call and try to help where I can.


Thank you much for that, I will get the word out! And if you get an appropriate chance, please tell all of them thank you from me for all the hard work and making something that goes along with "a marvelous work and a wonder" as the Gospel spreads in these last days.

Thank you for your time!!!

eddmarkington
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Postby eddmarkington » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:11 am

Just read most of the posts. I started with a "give me, give me" question. An now I am just feeling deep gratitude for the effort given by the few for so many. To you who have helped develop all these tools, my deepest thanks!!! You have blessed my life and the lives of countless others.


Return to “LDS Tools”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest