Getting the scriptures on blackberry

Discussions around the BlackBerry version of the Gospel Library application.
Steve Jeffery-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Mobipocket, the scriptures and your Blackberry

Post by Steve Jeffery-p40 »

I got frustrated with the slow speed of using a link to get the scriptures from the web, so I spent a little time on this issue. I am much happier with the local copy and the quick access to the scriptures that I've enjoyed on other PDAs.

Here is a solution that I found for my BB 8800. I downloaded the Mobipocket Reader by pointing the BB web browser to: http://m.mobipocket.com/ (You indicated that you have the Mobipocket application installed and have the scriptures downloaded to your PC.)

There are a few different versions of the scriptures available for download so be sure to get the set formatted for Mobipocket. I found them here: http://www.memoware.com/?screen=doc_detail&doc_id=14450&p=title^!lds%20scriptures~!description^!lds%20scriptures~!author^!lds%20scriptures

Connect your BB to your PC and use the Blackberry Desktop Manager to transfer the files. In the Media Manager you can see both your local drive and the storage on the BB. It should show "Device Memory" and "Media Card" if you have a memory card installed.

I created the directory MyBlackberry/Media Card/eBooks and copied the .PRC files to that location. Mobipocket can read them. You could put the .PRC files into MyBlackBerry/Device Memory/eBooks if you don't have a memory card.

Let us know if this approach works for you.
Seattlesteve-p40

Thanks

Post by Seattlesteve-p40 »

Thanks so much, it worked great, I now have the scriptures on my BB:)
Steve Jeffery-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Will it work on the BlackBerry Storm?

Post by Steve Jeffery-p40 »

Someone asked if the Mobipocket Reader will work on the BlackBerry storm. The answer is yes, but the reader hasn't been updated to support the larger resolution or touch screen. In addition, the application is very sensitive to the touch screen so it takes a little work to get used to it. I'm sure it will improve when the reader is updated for the new platform.

Since I don't have a Storm, I asked a couple of friends to go through the install steps I listed previously. We got the reader to work, but you a little more information may help you in your efforts.

In your BB web browser, go to: http://m.mobipocket.com Until they update the site, your phone will be detected as a BB9350. It allowed us to install the reader for the BB8800. Again, this step will probably change when they add support for the Storm and the BB Bold. Just pick the best one available.

First, Mobipocket defaults to a directory on you micro SD card. If you haven't added a micro SD to your phone, you should consider it. (I don't know how the Mobipocket install works if you don't have a memory card.) The Mobipocket installer creates the eBooks directory on the root of your memory card (MyBlackberry/Media Card/eBooks). Download the scriptures and copy the .PRC files to that location.

There are a few different versions of the scriptures available for download so be sure to get the set formatted for Mobipocket. I found them here: http://www.memoware.com/?screen=doc_detail&doc_id=14450&p=title^!lds%20scr iptures~!description^!lds%20scriptures~!author^!ld s%20scriptures

Two ways to get the scriptures from your PC to your Blackberry:
1) Connect your BB to your PC and use the Blackberry Desktop Manager to transfer the files. In the Media Manager you can see both your local drive and the storage on the BB. It should show "Device Memory" and "Media Card" if you have a memory card installed.

2) Alternately, you can download the scriptures, unzip them and send the individual .PRC files as attachments to yourself in email. From the phone, save the attachment into the eBooks directory.

Good luck and watch for updates to the reader. If anyone else has ideas, please add them to this thread.
dalowry-p40

This makes it easier

Post by dalowry-p40 »

I too have been struggling with being able to navigate the scriptures on my storm but today I tried something that has helped a lot. I increased the font size in settings to size 35 and the text is pretty large but it is way easier to navigate the links and it's pretty quick too. Try it out and let me know what you think. I think that it makes my storm usable as a pair of scriptures in classes on Sundays.
jywebs-p40

Downloads removed

Post by jywebs-p40 »

I get this message when I try to download the scriptures from the link posted.
The MemoWare web site has been updated and
this page is no longer available on the new MemoWare site

Does anyone know of another link where I can get the scriptures?

Harry958-p40

Mobipocket location

Post by Harry958-p40 »

I used the OTA method to download the Mobipocket reader direct to my BB Storm, and it went to the Downloads folder. Do I need to use the Desk Manager and move it to one of the Applications folders? I have only had my BB for a week, and was used to the Windows CE previously, for a different smartphone. I am still learning how to use the BB.

Harry. And, thanks for help!
Harry958-p40

Post by Harry958-p40 »

[quote="Harry958"]I used the OTA method to download the Mobipocket reader direct to my BB Storm, and it went to the Downloads folder. Do I need to use the Desk Manager and move it to one of the Applications folders? I have only had my BB for a week, and was used to the Windows CE previously, for a different smartphone. I am still learning how to use the BB.

Harry. And, thanks for help!
:)
cvacanti-p40

getting files on bb

Post by cvacanti-p40 »

One other way to do this...if you don't have the desktop manager...as I do not have on my personal laptop...is to open the zip file, attach the files to an email, open that email on your bb and download the attachment. That's the way I got them on my bb.

Cheers!!!
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

It looks like there is a beta version of mobipocket for BlackBerry Storm.

http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/beta/blackberry.asp?ID=3

Maybe you already know...
craiger

Website for this kind of info

Post by craiger »

Like the original poster, I had struggled to get the scriptures on my bb. It took a lot of research and was pretty frustrating. For a long time I didn't think it was even possible.

After finally figuring this out, I added it to a website to hopefully help others find this kind of info more easily. I've also started cataloging some other of the more obscure (and not so obscure) free lds content for mobile devices. It's just coming together, but I hope it's a useful resource. It has been for me and some family and friends.

If anyone has any suggestions or other things to add, feel free to post it at http://addtofaith.com. There's no ads or anything like that.

Return to “BlackBerry Gospel Library”