Custom locations deleted when ward divided?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
JimRedd

Custom locations deleted when ward divided?

Post by JimRedd »

How does new LDS Maps handle custom locations when a ward is divided?

Old LDS maps would forget custom locations when a member moved from one ward to another, or the address was changed. When a ward is divided, everyone in the new ward would lose the custom location. Since everyone in our ward in Thailand has a custom map location, that means everyone in the ward will lose their map location-Thailand has no default location based on zip codes.

I just verified that custom locations are lost when an address is changed, just like the old LDS Maps. I am guessing that it will also lose the custom location when a member moves to another ward (whether the member moves or the boundary changes). Can anyone confirm this?

Jim Redd
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Custom locations deleted when ward divided?

Post by russellhltn »

JimRedd wrote:Old LDS maps would forget custom locations when a member moved from one ward to another, or the address was changed.
That's to be expected.

JimRedd wrote:When a ward is divided, everyone in the new ward would lose the custom location.
I'm not so sure about that - it would depend on how the members were moved. In order to have any chance of retaining the locations, they have to be moved using the tools for boundary re-alignment. That changes the unit without ever touching the household address. If some clerk decides to move them using conventional move in/move out methods, it will be lost.

It should be noted that the boundary change tools have changed in the last year or so. What was once done in MLS is now done in LCR.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”