Where to get Lattitude/Longitude

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
christober72304

Re: Where to get Lattitude/Longitude

Post by christober72304 »

Thanks jonesrk. It certainly is a difficult challenge. Happy to share how I've approached the problem in Excel, there may be some shared learnings there.
ldsmlh

Post by ldsmlh »

In LDS Maps Help/en it indicates:
Local leaders and members who create an LDS Account can download a file containing the latitude and longitude coordinates, along with the address and other information. That file can be opened by a computer spreadsheet or can be loaded into a GPS device that is sold commercially. Those devices can be used to find the exact location of member households if a disaster occurs.

I would like to use membership lat/long data to geo-locate individuals that need to be found. I used to load this data into the Sister Missionaries GPS to save them some time looking up members before they had smart phones.
Co-locating members by GPS data keeps our ward missionaries from traveling long distances between visits because visits are within a specified radius.
Please show me how to obtain membership lat/long data for my program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The help file is out of date. Most all exports/downloads have been removed for the general membership. Legal issues surrounding privacy and personal data have caused many of the exports to be removed to prevent abuse. Ward leaders may still have access.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I don't think download is available anymore. I was playing around on classic LDS maps and I think for a moment I saw the wold "download" appear before it redirected to the new LDS maps to show me my ward members. It looks like they've disabled the ability to view your ward membership on classic.
rscorse47

Post by rscorse47 »

As a Land Surveyor, I use google earth quite a lot, to get lat/long information. Does take time if you are trying to do a ward, more so with an entire stake. Also, some county governmental GIS departments have the option to have an aerial/road/address view of the subject area with the associated info too.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”