Ward Maps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jwtaber

Post by jwtaber »

kgcrowther wrote:I think population data is available on the census block level.

It certainly is at blockgroup, but I haven't looked very hard. For what I'm doing right now, and am capable of doing, population comparison is going to have to wait. (My calling has included stake membership clerk for almost three years now.) I don't think it would be that difficult for someone, somewhere to be able to generate membership statistics by blockgroup or census tract and compare them to Census statistics. I do think that would be a bit of a burden at the stake level, even if there's a clerk who knows the software.
I think eventually lat./long. should just be entered into MLS as another field in the database. This would be relatively simple and avoid the need to geocode over and over again.

Absolutely. What I meant was that Salt Lake could make a pass at geocoding everyone once, and then again when someone moves. Otherwise it would stay stored on the membership record, and wards (with the right information) could fill in the gaps. When they do change an address, MLS could ask, "Is the position changing?" and the clerk could say no if it's just a matter of fixing a ZIP Code or something like that. Otherwise, MLS would at least attempt to fill in new coordinates. Each ward could be issued a paper map showing what neighborhoods or towns are getting what codes, so they'd know how to answer that if it came up.
opee

Post by opee »

kevandcan wrote:I've continued to receive a LOT of feedback from folks wanting access to the WardMap I had hosted. I've explained to them I can't, due to the reasons posted earlier in this thread. As such, I created a VBS file that anyone can run on their Windows machine and consume their Ward Member CSV file from LDS.org. It solves the 2 issues posted by Tom and lets folks still have a ward map quickly and easily...without sharing your ward data with anyone.

http://wardmap.theballfamily.org

Thanks,

Kevin

This tool is great on the ward level, so I was trying it out to see if it would map out our whole stake. I copied and pasted all of the Stake membership data into one file and ran the script. The program timed out at about 38% (going through the addresses and placing them on the map). After 3 tries of the same result, I assumed that there must be a limit to the number of entries to a map.

Is there a limit to the number of entries the script (or Yahoo! Maps) can take? Or is there a work around to map out a whole stake's data?
kevandcan

Post by kevandcan »

Yes, the Yahoo! API only allows for 200-300 calls per session I believe...
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Have you ported this to Google Earth? I think it might allow more.
- David
opee

other uses for WardMap.vbs?

Post by opee »

The ward maps functionality would also be nice on the Meetinghouse Locator function--to be able to see where the nearest ward is to a location you are at. I was playing around and tried to enter in the chapels around the Dallas area and put them in the "membership.csv" file, and then upload it into the script Kevin created.

It did not parse the information as I had hoped, and did not map the addresses. I have attached the file if you would like to try it.

(Attached txt file that needs to be saved as csv)

I was seeing if there were a way to create maps of chapels in a certain area you are traveling to, files of missionary contacts, families you home teach, etc. that could be customized and mapped using the script--but apparently I am not doing the right data entry in the csv to do that.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Could this feature be integrated with the Meetinghouse Locator and allow for the user to also add the location they are at (if they are traveling or moving to a new city) to see which ward is closest, and what times it meets? (Maybe this is a discussion for the LDS.org Project Forum)...
Attachments
tempUpload.txt
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

Very nice suggestions there, opee. I think adding in the Meetinghouses would be a great idea.
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

opee wrote:The ward maps functionality would also be nice on the Meetinghouse Locator function--to be able to see where the nearest ward is to a location you are at.
Keep in mind that the the closest meetinghouse may not be the ward whose boundaries you live in. What you propose is fine for travelers, but could create problems for new move-ins.

What would be nice is to display ward boundaries and where they meet. But that may be beyond what mapping services like Yahoo Maps or Google Earth can currently do.
On_Target_Advocate-p40

Post by On_Target_Advocate-p40 »

What is the latest status on getting this (or something like it) available in LUWS?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

On_Target_Advocate wrote:What is the latest status on getting this (or something like it) available in LUWS?
It is still a work in progress. No new news.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

tomw wrote:It is still a work in progress. No new news.

Tom

I do have to stand in awe of the church's programmers though, I have just gone through a bunch of threads and if they are actively monitoring these forums they are probably getting more great ideas than even a very large business could handle all at once.

Cannot wait to see what will happen in the coming year.
- David

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”