Good Location and blank address

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
cdw3423lds

Good Location and blank address

Post by cdw3423lds »

I have found 3 or 4 households on the map that have a location point but no address. If I look at the same households in LDS Tools or other places, the address is there. In every case these are for members that have lived in the same location in the same ward for many years. Obviously it had to have had an address at one time or it couldn't have found the location coordinates.

I looked at the address in LDS tools for all of the addresses that were blank in the map looking for something they all had in common, but I didn't see anything obvious.

Any idea why this is happening?

Chris W
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cdw3423 wrote:I have found 3 or 4 households on the map that have a location point but no address. If I look at the same households in LDS Tools or other places, the address is there. In every case these are for members that have lived in the same location in the same ward for many years. Obviously it had to have had an address at one time or it couldn't have found the location coordinates.

I looked at the address in LDS tools for all of the addresses that were blank in the map looking for something they all had in common, but I didn't see anything obvious.

These people were almost certainly affected by the bug reported in Address vanishing after member updates contact details. That bug existed for only a few days in the first week of 2012, but any addresses that were blanked out during those few days will have to be entered again by a clerk in MLS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
cdw3423lds

Post by cdw3423lds »

So in MLS their addresses will show up as blank? LDS Tools shows their correct address, as does the directory on lds.org. Just want to be sure I can tell the clerk exactly what has to be done. He is new and is not familiar with everything. Also when I change my phone number or email on lds.org, does MLS get updated to reflect that same change?

Chris W
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cdw3423 wrote:So in MLS their addresses will show up as blank? LDS Tools shows their correct address, as does the directory on lds.org.

Well, if this problem was indeed caused by the bug I linked to, then the addresses will show up blank in MLS. But I would have thought that they would also be blank on LDS Tools, and almost certainly on the directory. So that makes me wonder if indeed you are seeing fallout from that bug, or if this is something else.

But in any case, if the addresses are blank in MLS, the clerk can fix them there and they will propagate to all those other systems.
cdw3423 wrote:Also when I change my phone number or email on lds.org, does MLS get updated to reflect that same change?

Yes. Any member (to be precise, any head of household or spouse) can update phone or email addresses on the lds.org Directory, and MLS will be updated with the new info.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

I would guess that this is a different problem than the bug aebrown mentioned, but am not sure. I know they corrected as many of the accidentally deleted addresses as they could. There was only a small handful that did not get restored. Also, if the address is really blank in CMIS (which is the location they were deleted from by this bug) then they would certainly also be blank in the online directory and almost certainly in LDSTools as well.

I would check to see if they are blank in MLS, and if not then someone on the Maps project will probably need to chime in to find out what is actually happening here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdcr256 wrote:I would guess that this is a different problem than the bug aebrown mentioned, but am not sure. I know they corrected as many of the accidentally deleted addresses as they could. There was only a small handful that did not get restored. Also, if the address is really blank in CMIS (which is the location they were deleted from by this bug) then they would certainly also be blank in the online directory and almost certainly in LDSTools as well.

I would check to see if they are blank in MLS, and if not then someone on the Maps project will probably need to chime in to find out what is actually happening here.

I wonder how the sync works. If they restored the fields, but didn't set a flag, Maps may not be aware that the address is out of sync and won't update.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cdw3423lds

Post by cdw3423lds »

I will find out tomorrow if the addresses in MLS are blank or not. However I have another question.

One guy here had damage to his house on 71st St from a tornado and while it was being fixed he lived in another house on Cedar Ln. His map location is marked as verified at the house on Cedar Ln, but he has been back at the house on 71st St now for quite a while (over a year I think). Wouldn't changing his street address to a completely different address (probably the same zip though) key the map to unverify his location and then do an address look-up to find the approximate new location?

Chris W
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cdw3423 wrote:I will find out tomorrow if the addresses in MLS are blank or not. However I have another question.

Please follow the Code of Conduct and only post one issue per thread.

I started a new thread to address your other issue: Verification status of a changed address.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”