Remote Access to MLS Data Through LDS.org

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
kalnius

Remote Access to MLS Data Through LDS.org

Post by kalnius »

My bishop was very excited today to find out that he could access MLS data on LDS.org under the "tools" tab. He mentioned that he could edit membership records, etc.

As a ward clerk, when I log in using my LDS Account, I am able to access basic data, such as calling organzation, basic membership record info, ward quarterly report and these types of tools, but am not able to edit anything.

In addition, there is no provision for entering home teaching and visiting teaching information.

Am I missing something, or are these editing capabilities still coming? Do bishops have the ability to edit on the LDS.org site, where clerks don't?

Thanks.
BKO
Stake Executive Secretary
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bhead wrote:My bishop was very excited today to find out that he could access MLS data on LDS.org under the "tools" tab. He mentioned that he could edit membership records, etc.

As a ward clerk, when I log in using my LDS Account, I am able to access basic data, such as calling organzation, basic membership record info, ward quarterly report and these types of tools, but am not able to edit anything.

In addition, there is no provision for entering home teaching and visiting teaching information.

Am I missing something, or are these editing capabilities still coming? Do bishops have the ability to edit on the LDS.org site, where clerks don't?

I've seen no evidence that the online leader tools allow any editing of membership records. And generally, the ward clerk has pretty much the same access as the bishop. So I would think the bishop was being a bit casual in his reference to what he could do with membership records -- I think he can only view or print them. But it would certainly be interesting if he could do more. Sometime when you're together, ask him to show you quickly what he can edit.

Home teaching and visiting teaching information is not even visible at this point -- there's certainly no provision for entering ht/vt info.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aebrown wrote:But it would certainly be interesting if he could do more. Sometime when you're together, ask him to show you quickly what he can edit.
It may be that he found he could edit phone numbers and email addresses in the Directory tool. There is a link from the membership record in the Leader tool to the household record in the Directory tool so he may have considered it all part of the Leader tool. That edit ability is, of course, also available to clerks as well.
pilling

Post by pilling »

Three things can be edited from the lds,org; Photo, Phone, email; for the household and each member for my own family. As a ward clerk I can go in and update those things for all ward members, then a notice of those changes come to the clerk via MLS.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

bishops do not have any special membership record editing capabilities.
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

Thanks everybody. I'll ask him what he meant, exactly.
BKO
Stake Executive Secretary
Xerio

Post by Xerio »

bhead,

I just found that some MLS information, including some reports, is available here: https://lds.org/leader

You can find some more information about the site here: https://tech.lds.org/ldshelp/index.php5 ... erview/eng

Xerio
nicholasgoddard

Nick Goddard (HP Group Leader, Elizabeth Ward, Colorado Parker South Stake)

Post by nicholasgoddard »

How soon can we expect to have on line access to update home teaching / visit teaching organization and reports? Our stake issues keys to the clerk’s office only to the President of the Elders Quorum, High Priest Group Leader and the Relief Society President. We live in a very rural area and moving a key back and forth is difficult, at best.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nicholasgoddard wrote:How soon can we expect to have on line access to update home teaching / visit teaching organization and reports?
There is no promised date. See the thread Reporting Home Teaching.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nicholasgoddard wrote:We live in a very rural area and moving a key back and forth is difficult, at best.

You may wish to speak to the stake about that. As far as I know there's no hard and fast rule as to who can have keys, only a guideline.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”