Primary Rolls are Incorrect with Older primary Children

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mkimm

Primary Rolls are Incorrect with Older primary Children

Post by mkimm »

So I was recently called as the ward clerk and I was approached by the Primary President with a question about the class rolls. She showed me that all of the primary rolls have children of the wrong age in the wrong class. Does anyone know why this would be happening? LDS.org seems to recognize this problem because when I look at the rolls online, the kids that are not supposed to be in the class have an (*) next to their name meaning and a key at the bottom of the page saying "out of class default assignment". I have no idea what this means or how to fix it. Long story short, we have 7 year olds in our CTR 4-5 class and many other examples like this in other classes.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Primary Rolls are Incorrect with Older primary Children

Post by russellhltn »

I suspect someone manually moved them. "Someone" in this case would have to have rights to the membership records: such as the bishop or a clerk.

The fix would be to manually move them back. I don't know the details, but I'm sure it can be done in LCR.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

In LCR:
1. Go to the member profile for each member who needs to be re-assigned (you can get there from the class organization by clicking on their name and then the button in the box that opens).
2. Go to their Callings/Classes tab and click on the Pencil icon to the right of the class that has an asterisk showing it is out of the normal assignment.
3. Click the blue Reset button to have the system reassign per their standard rules, or select the class you want to reassign them to.

This information is listed on the screen: "Overriding the default class assignment will permanently exclude this individual from future automatic assignment advancements. To include this individual in future automatic class advancements, assign him or her to the default class assignment." So if someone moves a child to a different class, the child will remain in that class 'forever' until assignment is reset.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

The primary president has the ability to reassign children to different classes (our primary president has done that). I don't know if that ability extends to primary counselors.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Another option is to view the Primary organization and click the pencil icon next to the Primary header and select 'Reset Classes to Default'. This should put all primary children back in their default classes. Note that it will also set all the classes back to the default of one per age group. So any split or combined classes will be removed. If you have any such classes you'd have to then split or combine them. But this may be faster than editing the class membership of each child.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

eblood66 wrote:Another option is to view the Primary organization and click the pencil icon next to the Primary header and select 'Reset Classes to Default'. This should put all primary children back in their default classes. Note that it will also set all the classes back to the default of one per age group. So any split or combined classes will be removed. If you have any such classes you'd have to then split or combine them. But this may be faster than editing the class membership of each child.
Just don't make the mistake I did - I saw some of the children were in the wrong classes on Saturday evening so I reset all the classes. Sunday morning the Primary President approached me and asked why the class changes she made did not stick after she logged off LDS.org. I had to apologize to her and inform her I inadvertently changed them back because I thought they were system errors. Fortunately, she was willing to go make them again (and I promised to leave them alone, LOL).
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

This change can also be made from the organization. To move a child from one Primary class to another, go to the class the child is currently in, select the Members tab, and click the box next to the names of the children to be moved. There is a "Move to" button above the list that will allow you to move the selected children.
mckinneyn

Post by mckinneyn »

I have a problem that the default is wrong. The child's birthday is Jan 1 2015 (Age 6) as of now and is being placed in CTR 6. Based on the hand book, if the child is Age 5 as of Dec 31st of previous year should be in CTR 5. Which at Jan 1, 2021 they would have been 5. Any ideas why the system has the default incorrect and how to report the error?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mckinneyn wrote:Which at Jan 1, 2021 they would have been 5.
"I think you mean to say that "Which at Dec 31, 2020 they would have been 5."

But your point is valid.

I'd suggest giving feedback, It should be in the footer of most pages. I seem to recall this wasn't the first issue with children born on Jan 1st.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”