How do I create a companionship between a husband and wife?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rlyman44

How do I create a companionship between a husband and wife?

Post by rlyman44 »

When I go to create a companionship, or add someone new to a companionship, it doesn't give me the option to add any women. I'm viewing everything in LCR as the Elder's Quorum President.

Any guidance?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: How do I create a companionship between a husband and wife?

Post by rmrichesjr »

I seem to recall seeing an answer to that question elsewhere in a related forum. I'd search for it, but it's past time to sign off and retire for a 4:59am alarm clock. Hopefully, someone else will post it here.

I think it might have been that order of assignment matters: 1) EQ adds the husband (no companion), 2) RS adds wife to companship.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rmrichesjr wrote:I think it might have been that order of assignment matters: 1) EQ adds the husband (no companion), 2) RS adds wife to companship.
Almost. An EQ president must first add the brother to the companionship and then his wife will become an option to add. Likewise, the RS president must first add the Sister and then her husband will become an option. But in both cases it can be done by just one of them.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

eblood66 wrote:
rmrichesjr wrote:I think it might have been that order of assignment matters: 1) EQ adds the husband (no companion), 2) RS adds wife to companship.
Almost. An EQ president must first add the brother to the companionship and then his wife will become an option to add. Likewise, the RS president must first add the Sister and then her husband will become an option. But in both cases it can be done by just one of them.
It can be done by just one organization if just one organization makes the assignment and will conduct the interviews. In the case where the same husband/wife team are to minister in Elders Quorum AND Relief Society, each organization has to add them to a ministering district in their organization for them to be visible in their organization reports.
- Elders would add the brother first, and then his wife as a team in an Elders Quorum ministering district
- Relief Society would add the sister first, and then her husband as a team in a Relief Society ministering district
melee3

Post by melee3 »

This was working last week and it is no longer working for me. Is anyone else having that problem? I am doing it exactly as explained--adding the wife first, then the husband. The husband is no longer showing in the drop down list.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

melee3 wrote:I am doing it exactly as explained--adding the wife first, then the husband. The husband is no longer showing in the drop down list.
Pull up the couple in the on-line directory. Make sure the spouse isn't listed under "Other Household Members".

If she is a "other", then you'll have to ask the membership clerk to fix it. And he'll have to contact support for the fix. It's not something he can correct without creating a fake divorce - something that will linger in their history if he attempts that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Before calling, the clerk might try moving the sister to her own household, and then adding her again to her husband's household. That may solve the issue if she is currently listed as Other, rather than Spouse.
samnlily

We can't assign couples to minister together

Post by samnlily »

I am unable to assign couples to be companions in LCR. We have done this in the past but it is not allowing it today. Any ideas?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

The clerk can also check to see if they are linked correctly by looking at the family tab and following the spouse name link (if it's not a link they are definitely not linked). If the marriage is correctly recorded and both members are in your unit then the spouse name will be a link.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: We can't assign couples to minister together

Post by russellhltn »

samnlily wrote:I am unable to assign couples to be companions in LCR. We have done this in the past but it is not allowing it today. Any ideas?
Your post was merged into an existing topic. Please try the steps suggested in this thread.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”