Geocodes/sort by city (maybe a feature request?)

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
waynejwerner

Geocodes/sort by city (maybe a feature request?)

Post by waynejwerner »

One of the things that I used to provide our missionaries is a ward list sorted by geocode - that way when they're out working they can just pull open the ward list by geocode and see what members are near their geographic location.

It appears that the geocode functionality is no longer possible to access in MLS (I'm guessing it wasn't used very much). For us the geocode isn't really a big deal - it was just the city, anyway. But it doesn't appear that we can sort the ward list by anything other than the household name.

Is my only option to go to MLS, export the ward list to csv, and then sort *that* by address? Kind of a pain, but I'm sure I could automate some sort of process.

Thanks!
mevans

Re: Geocodes/sort by city (maybe a feature request?)

Post by mevans »

We use geocodes for emergency preparedness planning. I'm not the clerk who does that, but I didn't realize it's now not available from MLS. That's unfortunate.

I forget if missionaries have access to the ward map now? That might be a way that they can see who is nearby, although if they don't have an internet connection, that's going to be difficult.
waynejwerner

Post by waynejwerner »

They'd need an internet connection *and* a device that can get online. I know some missions are using smartphones and tablets, but not all of them yet.
dlpyro1957

Post by dlpyro1957 »

Geo Code is still in MLS. go to the membership drop down on the top and you will find it. It The way you input is different. It will have a list of family's then on the right side you will find a column for stake and a 2nd for ward. Click on ward and input it there, and then you can still run custom reports.. For EP i have made a excel program that you can copy base ling info that you may have ( Family names. Geo Code, Ward notes, and we have a column for single sister.
\Then i take a export from LCR derictory and it give me any new members / move in and flag me to add Geo Codes. from there it combines the base line and new info and make a report that we use for EP. list names, address, family count main contact info that we gives to are ZC. Anyone that would like a copy let me know i will be glad to share contact me at scottward720@ gmail

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”