LCR 4.0 last ward

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LCR 4.0 last ward

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:
jonesrk wrote:They made some changes around prior units (specifically to show all prior units up to one year ago). I wonder if they change to show address unknown was intentional of just an accidental side effect. I would recommend submitting feedback in case it was an unintended change.
It was an intentional change.
I'm guessing what is intended is a polite version of "None of your business". However "Address Unknown" carries a different meaning. As such, it sounds like the execution could be better.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:It was an intentional change.
I think it may help in this discussion to remember that only bishops and clerks should be seeing membership records.

I appreciate the decision to display all units where the record resided during the previous year. That makes it easier for the bishop to contact prior leaders when the Handbook requires. I believe including the Address Unknown information is helpful to a bishop who is determining how best to help a member who is new to his ward. To leave it out would give the false impression that a member lived longer in the earlier ward with a bishop when his record really was not in that ward.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

My records have never been in the Unknown Address File. Prior to the latest LCR update it shows the Ward that I used to be in, 7 years ago. LDS Tools (the latest beta as well as the app store version) both show the previous Unit I was in. I have checked several other records and none of them I have seen this on.

As I said it doesn't really matter but I want to make sure there isn't a problem.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

michaelcox wrote:My records have never been in the Unknown Address File.
And as a married father of many children, I have never lived in a single BYU-Idaho ward. But that's where my records came from, because an ambitious clerk pulled our whole family instead of just our college student. He realized his error and sent the rest of us back, but now no one knows where we came from or when we moved to our present ward. It makes for some fun and embarrassing moments when a newcomer decides to hand out a longevity award without talking to one of the old timers first.

But no one has ever corrected our membership records because they did, in fact, travel unaccompanied through that single student ward many years ago. I use this in training as an example of how accuracy in record keeping does not always reflect reality. Sometimes it only provides a snapshot of truth (think quarterly report).

I was quite hopeful when they announced that membership records would show more than one prior unit. But, alas, they settled for displaying only the last year, which is not helpful in my case.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

lajackson wrote:
michaelcox wrote:My records have never been in the Unknown Address File.
And as a married father of many children, I have never lived in a single BYU-Idaho ward. But that's where my records came from, because an ambitious clerk pulled our whole family instead of just our college student. He realized his error and sent the rest of us back, but now no one knows where we came from or when we moved to our present ward. It makes for some fun and embarrassing moments when a newcomer decides to hand out a longevity award without talking to one of the old timers first.

But no one has ever corrected our membership records because they did, in fact, travel unaccompanied through that single student ward many years ago. I use this in training as an example of how accuracy in record keeping does not always reflect reality. Sometimes it only provides a snapshot of truth (think quarterly report).

I was quite hopeful when they announced that membership records would show more than one prior unit. But, alas, they settled for displaying only the last year, which is not helpful in my case.
Ok but this is not the same issue that I reported. In LCR 3.4 and LDS Tools it correctly shows the prior unit we lived in and our records were in. LCR 4.0 incorrectly lists prior unit as Address Unknown.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

michaelcox wrote:Ok but this is not the same issue that I reported. In LCR 3.4 and LDS Tools it correctly shows the prior unit we lived in and our records were in. LCR 4.0 incorrectly lists prior unit as Address Unknown.
Perhaps something similar happened to your record in the past of which you are not aware. Mine was more obvious, but still a surprise when I discovered it.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

So you are suggesting that LCR 3.4 (and earlier) and LDS Tools are wrong but LCR 4.0 is correct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

michaelcox wrote:So you are suggesting that LCR 3.4 (and earlier) and LDS Tools are wrong but LCR 4.0 is correct?
I am suggesting that LCR 3.4 (and earlier) and LDS Tools are omitting certain information that is now displayed in LCR 4.0.

I agree that in many cases it is troublesome that only the one immediate prior ward shows up in LCR 4.0 when it is sometimes misleading. I am not sure how to deal with that, unless they were to default to displaying two prior units.

Another example would be a record that arrives in a city in, say, the 1st ward, then is moved to the 2nd ward where it belongs. Under the new policy where previous units are shown for a year, the 2nd ward will know where the record came from at first, but after a year it will only show that it came from the 1st ward, which is true for the record, but not for the member.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:
scgallafent wrote:
jonesrk wrote:They made some changes around prior units (specifically to show all prior units up to one year ago). I wonder if they change to show address unknown was intentional of just an accidental side effect. I would recommend submitting feedback in case it was an unintended change.
It was an intentional change.
I'm guessing what is intended is a polite version of "None of your business". However "Address Unknown" carries a different meaning. As such, it sounds like the execution could be better.
No -- just intended as confirmation that this was not an unintended change.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

michaelcox wrote:Ok but this is not the same issue that I reported. In LCR 3.4 and LDS Tools it correctly shows the prior unit we lived in and our records were in. LCR 4.0 incorrectly lists prior unit as Address Unknown.
LCR 3.4 did not show when the previous unit for a member was "Address Unknown." It jumped over the address unknown record in the history and showed the unit before that. LCR 4.0 now provides that information.

I had someone check your membership record. Your prior unit really is* Address Unknown. LCR 4.0 is reporting it correctly.

* Having said all of that, the record was corrected so that you now will see the prior prior unit as the prior unit. Your prior unit "was" address unknown.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”