Not able to find membership records when trying to request them

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
travisjensen55

Not able to find membership records when trying to request them

Post by travisjensen55 »

I have two people I am trying to request membership records for. They are brothers, in fact. Both have given me their names and birth dates, but their records don't show up when I try to look them up. As far as I know, they are not excommunicated. One of them even provided me with a Certificate of Blessing showing his birthday, so I know that's accurate. I tried using the "Need help from a Church administrative representative?" link on the membership record request page, but it's been several weeks and I have not received any reply. Anybody have advice for me on this issue?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Not able to find membership records when trying to request them

Post by russellhltn »

Call Local Unit support on Monday. They can see more details. Since one has a blessing certificate, I have to wonder if they were never baptized and the child of record was canceled when they turned 18. (Assuming the child of record was ever created.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
travisjensen55

Post by travisjensen55 »

Thanks – I'll try calling the local unit support. I am new to the whole Ward Clerk gig so this is all new for me. I've never heard of that before, but I'll try to find a phone # for it on LCR.

Both people say that they were baptized, plus we've got a couple other of their brothers' records in our ward, so it's not likely that the parents only had a couple of the kids baptized but not all of them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

travisjensen55 wrote:Both people say that they were baptized, plus we've got a couple other of their brothers' records in our ward, so it's not likely that the parents only had a couple of the kids baptized but not all of them.
You'll find that some clerks weren't so good about record keeping. There some misconceptions that mess up child of record things. I don't know why they would have missed the baptism - if they were already 9 at the time, then it should have been handled by the mission, but perhaps the ward tried to do it as a child of record. It happens.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

travisjensen55 wrote:Thanks – I'll try calling the local unit support. I am new to the whole Ward Clerk gig so this is all new for me. I've never heard of that before, but I'll try to find a phone # for it on LCR.
You can find the phone number at Help.LDS.org. If you're in the United States, Canada, or Puerto Rico, the number and email for support are here:
https://www.lds.org/help/support/suppor ... o?lang=eng
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Another option is to contact the clerk in the ward they came from and have him transfer the records to you, instead of you pulling them in. Contact information for clerks can be found at CDOL.LDS.org; or, the members who are moving in can find their old clerk's info on the LDS.org or LDS Tools directory. This is assuming they were active in a previous ward before moving in.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”