"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by scgallafent »

SamYam wrote:I am a stake exec sec and am having an issue when trying to use the "Send A Message" function to the entire stake. I go through and select all members, wait for it to load all the recipients, type the message and then click to send. I get a pop-up box stating that an error occurred and to try it later. I can send an email to an entire ward without a problem. However when I try to send an email to a second ward distribution then I get the same error.
We have received sporadic reports of this but haven't been able to isolate the issue. Will you send me a PM with the date and time (don't forget the time zone) you tried this so that we can check logs for any indication of what is happening?
mtwerner

Post by mtwerner »

I'm a stake clerk and have been experiencing the same thing. However, it appears that everyone is still receiving the emails. I submitted feedback to the Church on the issue recently, but haven't heard back from anyone.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

mtwerner wrote:I'm a stake clerk and have been experiencing the same thing. However, it appears that everyone is still receiving the emails. I submitted feedback to the Church on the issue recently, but haven't heard back from anyone.
We saw that feedback. We just haven't been able to reproduce the issue in our test environment.
bluefish

Post by bluefish »

I'm a Stake Clerk trying to help folks in my Stake understand and use this new functionality. I got a question from a Branch Clerk in our Stake along these lines:
When logged into LCR he has access to the Send a Message application, but can only "see" his Branch in the Available Groups dropdown... Is this correct?? Shouldn't he be able to send a message to me, other Stake Leaders, the High Councilman assigned to his Branch, other unit clerks, etc?

I found this description of Access rights a few pages back:
"Ward access is limited to bishopric, executive secretary, ward clerk, ward assistant clerk, and ward assistant clerk -- membership. Stake access is limited to stake presidency, executive secretary, assistant executive secretary, stake clerk, stake assistant clerk, and stake assistant clerk -- membership. Branch and district equivalents to these callings have access. Mission presidents with ecclesiastical responsibilities and their counselors and clerk also have access to send email to districts and branches in the mission."

This confirms he has has access to the Send a Message application, but does NOT have clues about to whom he should be able to send messages. In this case he went to LDS Tools as the next easiest way to find my email address, and copied it from there.

Have I described the intended fucntionality?

PS: A training instance of LCR would be a GREAT help since so many views are now calling dependent... Would help me a lot if I could see example pages of what they actually see. :-)
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

bluefish wrote:I'm a Stake Clerk trying to help folks in my Stake understand and use this new functionality. I got a question from a Branch Clerk in our Stake along these lines:
When logged into LCR he has access to the Send a Message application, but can only "see" his Branch in the Available Groups dropdown... Is this correct?? Shouldn't he be able to send a message to me, other Stake Leaders, the High Councilman assigned to his Branch, other unit clerks, etc?
This is correct. "Send a Message" is primarily intended for broadcast emails. It is not intended as a replacement for regular email. On the rare occasion that a ward or branch clerk needs to send a message to another clerk in the stake, he can look up the information in LDS Tools or in the directory and send a direct email.
bluefish wrote:This confirms he has has access to the Send a Message application, but does NOT have clues about to whom he should be able to send messages.
He can see the groups that are supported for his calling by going to the application and looking at what is available there. If we created a help page that listed the groups to which he should be able to send messages, it would essentially repeat what is already available in the user interface. If there are groups that someone feels are missing, there is always the option of sending feedback (we have received several suggestions) to be considered.
bluefish wrote:PS: A training instance of LCR would be a GREAT help since so many views are now calling dependent... Would help me a lot if I could see example pages of what they actually see. :-)
Since you asked this twice on the forum yesterday and sent feedback, I'll go ahead and respond with "there are no plans that I know of to implement a training instance of LCR."
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mtwerner wrote:I'm a stake clerk and have been experiencing the same thing. However, it appears that everyone is still receiving the emails. I submitted feedback to the Church on the issue recently, but haven't heard back from anyone.
My stake executive secretary (Provo Utah YSA 9th Stake) reported receiving the error as well, the other day, though the message was received by everyone we checked with despite the error.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bluefish

Post by bluefish »

scgallafent wrote:
bluefish wrote:I'm a Stake Clerk trying to help folks in my Stake understand and use this new functionality. I got a question from a Branch Clerk in our Stake along these lines:
This is correct. "Send a Message" is primarily intended for broadcast emails. It is not intended as a replacement for regular email. On the rare occasion that a ward or branch clerk needs to send a message to another clerk in the stake, he can look up the information in LDS Tools or in the directory and send a direct email.
bluefish wrote:This confirms he has has access to the Send a Message application, but does NOT have clues about to whom he should be able to send messages.
He can see the groups that are supported for his calling by going to the application and looking at what is available there. If we created a help page that listed the groups to which he should be able to send messages, it would essentially repeat what is already available in the user interface. If there are groups that someone feels are missing, there is always the option of sending feedback (we have received several suggestions) to be considered.
bluefish wrote:PS: A training instance of LCR would be a GREAT help since so many views are now calling dependent... Would help me a lot if I could see example pages of what they actually see. :-)
Since you asked this twice on the forum yesterday and sent feedback, I'll go ahead and respond with "there are no plans that I know of to implement a training instance of LCR."
Thanks for the clear feedback regarding these real questions, as well as your patience (and/or sense of humor, or whatever...) with my suggestion for a training instance of LCR. I do feel strongly that many would benefit from one. I'm answering another question to a clerk tonight using screenshots from my training instance of MLS (ver3.7.8, a few versions behind now, but still very useful when his menu choices at the Unit level are different than what I see at the Stake level).

Thanks again, for prompt and clear feedback, as usual!!
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Creating a training instance of LCR would be a huge undertaking. Remember that your "training instance" of MLS is just a copy of MLS with another copy of a ward database, but it can't transmit to Church headquarters. A training instance of LCR would require replicating LCR and all of the supporting systems that LCR depends on. We would need to keep them somewhat in sync with the real world so that there aren't issues with clerks wondering why what they are seeing is wrong due to outdated data. There are a whole host of other issues beyond that that would need to be addressed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I thought I saw mention of a "sandbox" version of LCR used for development - or at least some screenshots from something like that. The data displayed was fake. A copy of that that we could access would be nice. That way we could see the screens and sample data as viewed from different roles.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

You may be thinking of the demo that was done in a recent LDSTech broadcast. That used one of our internal development instances that is not publicly accessible. The data for that demo was generated specifically for that broadcast.

Doing something like that would still require setting up a complete set of publicly-accessible systems (LCR, CMIS, CDOL, etc.) and then populating those systems with some kind of useful dummy data (wards, stakes, members, callings).

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”