Calling outside of auxiliary/quorum = no access

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Calling outside of auxiliary/quorum = no access

Post by russellhltn »

troutface wrote:1. His name doesn't appear when I try to add him as an assistant secretary. Apparently that functionality is reserved for prospective elders at this time.
I'd report that as a bug in the app's feedback links.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Out of curiosity, if his office is recorded as Seventy, does he appear in the High Priests or Elders rolls? Can more than one office be recorded on a membership record at one time?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Wow, I just happened to pick a high priest in our ward and it turns out he was ordained a Seventy in the 1980s. HIs record shows his ordination dates for Elder, Seventy, and High Priest.

So, I think the answer is, that if someone is recorded as a Seventy, it doesn't matter in terms of Elders/High Priests. If he's ordained an Elder and not a High Priest, he would default to Elders. If he's been ordained a High Priest, then he'll default to the High Priest group.

I imagine that would mean that anyone who is called to one of the quorums of the Seventy now would need his ordination to Seventy recorded by church headquarters. To me, that also clarifies the original question that started this thread: The brother would need to be ordained a High Priest to serve in the calling. Seventy is a different ordination and is not a High Priest.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:Out of curiosity, if his office is recorded as Seventy, does he appear in the High Priests or Elders rolls? Can more than one office be recorded on a membership record at one time?
As mevans said, all Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations are recorded and can be seen on the local membership record. If he was ordained a seventy but never a high priest, he defaults to the elders quorum. If he was ordained a high priest, he is in the HP quorum.
mevans

Post by mevans »

The membership record appears to maintain all Melchizedek Priesthood ordination dates. It works differently than Aaronic Priesthood, where only the most recent ordination is maintained, and once you're ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood, the Aaronic priesthood ordinations are not maintained.

I believe even in the past that everyone had to be ordained an Elder first. If I'm wrong, then you could have a Seventy who was never an Elder and I don't know what would happen.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mevans wrote:I believe even in the past that everyone had to be ordained an Elder first. If I'm wrong, then you could have a Seventy who was never an Elder and I don't know what would happen.
In my lifetime, "faithful elders" were considered to be ordained to the office of seventy. And often they first were called as stake missionaries and expected to serve successfully there before they were ordained a seventy.

Your assessment of how priesthood ordinations currently display on membership records is correct.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Some thoughts related to this thread:

LCR enforces the requirements in the Handbook. Handbook 2 is fairly clear that the secretary in the high priests group must be a high priest.
troutface wrote:His name doesn't appear when I try to add him as an assistant secretary. Apparently that functionality is reserved for prospective elders at this time.
We received direction at one point to require a high priest ordination for an assistant secretary. We got approval to change this to match the Handbook and that has been changed. You should now be able to record the calling of assistant secretary for someone who has not been ordained a high priest.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”