High priest and Elder assignments

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
dfchamplain

Re: High priest and Elder assignments

Post by dfchamplain »

I am an Elders Quorum President and made the class assignments for some individuals who were assigned to the High Priest group, but should have been assigned to the Elders Quorum. It seems as though all the new records for PE are automatically assigned to the HPG. Even after I made the change which shows that they are in the EQ, the individuals do not show up for me to assign them Home Teachers or Home Teaching assignments.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jonesrk wrote:Yes the HP Leader can make class assignments
If I am reading this topic correctly, it seems that in LCR 3.0 the ability to assign a family home teachers is not linked to the ability to move a person from the high priests group to elders quorum and vice versa. Are these two different functions? What are we missing here to get the home teaching straightened out?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Logout, login? I hope the change doesn't have to flow through MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dfchamplain

Post by dfchamplain »

I logged out and logged back in with no change. I had our High Priest Group leader log into the HT application and he can see the individuals, but they are not assigned to the HPG. I think I will provide some feedback as this doesn't seem right.
mstauff

Post by mstauff »

You should be able to assign anyone to teach or be taught in either quorum regardless of class assignments. On the companionships tab when you edit a companionship you should be able to add anyone who is eligible to teach or be taught. You can either type their name and select them from the autocomplete, or click on the dropdown arrow and then use the filters to select a specific quorum (or view all) and assigned or unassigned.
1historian

Post by 1historian »

Ok that is what we were doing wrong then. I was clicking the edit button on the line with their name from the household tab, which was only pulling up HP companionships. When I went to the companionship tab I was able to add them to an existing companionship in the Elders Quorum.
dfchamplain

Post by dfchamplain »

Thanks mstauff. I can now assign them this way. It still seems odd that they didn't show up under the Households not assigned to be Home Taught section from the overview tab. Is that normal behavior?
mstauff

Post by mstauff »

For right now it is. The overview and households tabs are not currently based on class assignments. They will generally show Elders in the EQ, and all others in the HP. The one exception to this is if you assign a family (within home teaching) to be taught by a specific quorum they will then show up on the overview tab and households for that quorum. So if you have a prospective elder that is unassigned he will show up on the HP lists. If you assign him to be taught by a companionship in the EQ he then should show up under the EQ households. He would also show up on the EQ Overview tab if he weren't visited. He wouldn't ever show up on the EQ unassigned HT section, however. If he were removed from the EQ companionship he would revert to HP.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Hopefully the following will clear up some of the questions in this thread.

Prospective elders are assigned to the high priests group by default. The bishop should determine whether a prospective elder is best served by being assigned to the elders quorum or high priests group. For more details on this, refer to Handbook 2 section 7.6.1 and the First Presidency letter dated 3 November 2004 regarding responsibility for prospective elders.

Class assignments for wards (and branches) using Leader and Clerk R 3.0 are handled in LCR. Once a unit is upgraded to LCR 3.0, configuration information is sent to MLS that turns off the ability to modify callings, classes, class assignments, and home and visiting teaching in MLS. At that point, the ward must use LCR 3.0 for these functions.

The class assignment changes can be made by users with LCR access. Class assignments do not require any kind of round trip through MLS. Class assignment data is sent to MLS but there are some known issues where MLS may not have all of the data it needs when classes are split in LCR. MLS tries to detect these situations and requests a refresh when necessary.

If a prospective elder is assigned to attend the elders quorum, the class assignment can be changed in Leader and Clerk Resources. The record will indicate that the elders quorum class assignment is not the default class assignment, which is expected since the default class assignment would be to the high priests group. This does not cause any problems -- it is simply an indication that the member has been assigned to something other than the default class.

As mstauff said, the overview and household tabs for home teaching are not based on class assignments. If a family is not assigned the home teacher, that family will be displayed in home teaching lists based on the default class assignment, which means that prospective elders and single sisters will be listed by default on the lists for the high priests group. That does not prevent these families from being assigned to an elders quorum home teaching companionship.

I think I covered it all.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

A couple of comments if I may,
scgallafent wrote:The record will indicate that the elders quorum class assignment is not the default class assignment, which is expected since the default class assignment would be to the high priests group.
In the words of Andy Rooney, "That bothers me." The Handbook show no such default or preference for assigning a prospective elder. I realize that from a software standpoint you have to do something, but I don't understand the purpose of flagging the record after a choice has been made.

I do see the value of a flag when dealing with youth transitioning into the adult classes. In the case of a over-aged youth, that will require manual intervention in the future. Either way, under most situations, that flag should disappear in a year's time. But I'm clearly missing the point when it comes to a prospective elder assigned to elders. Especially if we're talking about a less-active PE who may stay there for some time with no change in situation.

Is there in fact a preference/default that has come down that just hasn't been expressed in the current version of the Handbook?

scgallafent wrote:If a family is not assigned the home teacher, that family will be displayed in home teaching lists based on the default class assignment, which means that prospective elders and single sisters will be listed by default on the lists for the high priests group.
I predict a fair amount of grumbling from HP Groups who find the unassigned keep showing up on their lists when the family in question is assigned to the Elders. Is there a reason it's not following actual class assignments for prospective elders?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”