Ward Council Members and Presidencies Now Have Access to LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Ward Council Members and Presidencies Now Have Access to

Post by lajackson »

eliott.mourier wrote:When I was consellor in the Bishopric i had no problem and the whole list was being displayed. It seems that there is a permission issue here.
Due to privacy laws, your country is an "opt in" country. If the member does not grant permission, you will not see them in the directory.

A member of the stake presidency, bishopric, or clerk can see all members without restriction. If you are no longer in one of those positions you will no longer be able to see them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:A member of the stake presidency, bishopric, or clerk can see all members without restriction. If you are no longer in one of those positions you will no longer be able to see them.
The question is how that works in LCR. It might allow him to see all Young Men, but not all members of the ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:A member of the stake presidency, bishopric, or clerk can see all members without restriction. If you are no longer in one of those positions you will no longer be able to see them.
The question is how that works in LCR. It might allow him to see all Young Men, but not all members of the ward.
Correct, and I think that would be ideal. Even after the change is in place, though, I think in opt-in countries he may only see the YM whose families have opted in.
mevans

Post by mevans »

eliott.mourier wrote:As a Young Men President in my ward in France, I've never been able to get access to the full ward directory, neither on the lds.org nor on the LDSTools apps. I actually only see about 15 membres listed. Always the same list with both active and totally inactive people who have probably never ever created an LDS account. That means I cannot even see my Young Men which is really problematic.
I was hoping that the new release would correct this bug who makes the directory useless for most of the ward. When I was consellor in the Bishopric i had no problem and the whole list was being displayed. It seems that there is a permission issue here.
I believe this has to do with privacy laws. In most or all of Europe, members need to "opt in" to show their membership information on the directory. When you're in the bishopric, you get to see everyone, but others are not able to.

I assume the way this works is that everyone has permission defaults to "leadership only" in these countries. It's possible that a clerk has changed the permissions for people who have never created an LDS Account.

My experience is that very few people proactively manage their directory preferences. As a clerk, I'm taking pictures and uploading them and changing view preferences for people. If you would like more people in your ward to appear in the directory, I suggest you coordinate a program to have a clerk contact people to see if they would like to change their setting. If you have wireless internet in your building, then get a clerk who has a tablet or laptop who can make the permission change on the spot while talking with the members.
tcole13

Post by tcole13 »

First off, Well done to all that have put this together. It has already helped in callings here in West Virginia!

Now for my question: Will a similar access be extended at the Stake level? For example just a Aux Presidency members in Wards have access to Ward level details, it would be helpful if High Councilors/Stake Aux Presidencies had similar access to Stake level details.

I am not sure if this has been asked already (I did not see it but I also did not search hard.) If it has my apologies for asking again. Otherwise It would be extremely helpful for those of us that travel at least an hour to the Stake Center to get access to reports and the like on the Stake MLS system.

Thanks again for all the hard work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

tcole13 wrote:Will a similar access be extended at the Stake level? For example just a Aux Presidency members in Wards have access to Ward level details, it would be helpful if High Councilors/Stake Aux Presidencies had similar access to Stake level details.
The Leader and Clerk Resources FAQ page has the current "official" response to stake access:
https://www.lds.org/help/support/leader ... s?lang=eng

It has been discussed some before and I imagine access will change at some point in the future.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
tcole13

Post by tcole13 »

Samuel,

Thank you for your response.

To those who make decisions:
I certainly hope for some change. I understand the stewardship responsibilities however having access would make the Stake leaders significantly more effective. I feel sometimes it would be helpful to have the HC at least have similar record access as the Stake Exec. (I was this before a HC member). It makes a lot of work for the Clerk and Exec sec to provide these details and not having access to it electronically is frustrating.

I know you are not the "rule writer" but I would like to add a vote/voice to the "give a bit more access to the Stake HC and Stake Council" argument. I'm sure it has been mentioned but when travel distances increase the effort required to provide some basic info become a great inhibitor.

My .02¢.

And again to Samuel thank you for your kind response.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tcole13 wrote:To those who make decisions:
I certainly hope for some change.
None of the decision makers are here at the Forum. The decisions are made by the priesthood leaders who assign the work to the developers.

There are two ways to reach them. Send a response through the Feedback pages at LDS.org or invite your stake president to discuss the matter with the Area Seventy who presides over your Coordinating Council and send the message through those priesthood leaders.

There are a lot of folks here at the Forum who agree with you. But change in the Church does not come that way.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I am personally against Stake Leaders acting as defacto Ward Leaders with greater reach. In my extensive experience, Stake Leaders exaggerate their needs very often, and not working well with ward-level counterparts. Their whole purpose is to work with ward level leaders and I, personally, hoped to help that relationship through a bit of obfuscation. They also freely give information without really considering if it is their right to share or not. Keeping them from having the access also ensures that the Stake President has a little help with privacy protection.

Stake Leaders need to get back to being leaders of leaders...

working with ward counterparts is harder and longer and less efficient, it is also better in nearly all cases because ward leaders have individual information that is typically not considered when a stake leader is looking at raw data.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:working with ward counterparts is harder and longer and less efficient, it is also better in nearly all cases because ward leaders have individual information that is typically not considered when a stake leader is looking at raw data.
And I think the idea is beyond just administering to the ward, but to grow the future leaders the Church needs. By asking for the information, the leaders in training see the process.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”