Please add birth year and age to youth and Primary lists

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
ulupoi

Please add birth year and age to youth and Primary lists

Post by ulupoi »

When it's time to gather attendance stats, I go into unit statistics and click on "Young Men," "Young Women," and "Primary" to generate lists of only those people who are eligible to be counted. These lists include the birth month and day of each person, but not the birth year. These lists would be easier to use if the age of and birth year of each person were added. Seems like the birth year used to be there, but it was removed at some point. Well, this is my request. If there is anything else I need to do in order to have this read by the right people, could someone let me know?
mevans

Re: Please add birth year and age to youth and Primary lists

Post by mevans »

This is more of a community forum. Sometimes people from the church visit here, but in general, the forum isn't where you're going to get changes made.

There are two avenues to pursue your request:
1) Use the "Submit Feedback" link found on many web pages to request this. You can use the link on another web page if it's not on the one you're using.
2) Get your stake president to request this through priesthood channels. The Priesthood Department is in charge of all this.

I don't know why years were removed, but it's possibly due to complying with privacy laws (which differ by country) or for youth protection purposes.
jkitterman
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jkitterman »

I will follow-up on this.
Developer, Core Systems and Services
http://clerk.lds.org
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Thank you very much, jkitterman.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I fail to see how having the birth year makes a difference in counting attendance.

When I was clerk, I would print the list from the Quarterly Report and the Primary Presidency would check-mark next to the youth who attended.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I fail to see how having the birth year makes a difference in counting attendance.
You don't count members of record who are 9 years of age or older in any attendance reporting.
jkitterman
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jkitterman »

The age and full birthdate will be included in our next release (hopefully within a month or so). Thanks for the suggestion.
Developer, Core Systems and Services
http://clerk.lds.org
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

I am very grateful to you, Brother Kitterman. Having the age there will be very convenient. Some of our wards have large numbers of less-active members, so we have children on our rolls whom no one here has ever seen. Having the age listed with the name will help the leaders to recall who these children are as they go through the list from unit stats every month in preparing their attendance reports for the ward clerks.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

aebrown wrote:You don't count members of record who are 9 years of age or older in any attendance reporting.
That's correct. However, members of record who are age 9 and older do not appear on the Quaterly Report lists anyway (or at least they didn't at the time I was released as ward clerk - almost every quarter I had to answer questions from Primary why certain children were missing from the quarterly report list).

Now, if one is trying to use a regular class list for the quarterly report data, that can present a problem. If the Quarterly Report is used, then having the birthdate/age is a moot point.
genman

Post by genman »

aebrown wrote:You don't count members of record who are 9 years of age or older in any attendance reporting.
Good point. Although if they are a child-of-record (COR) and 9+ years old and not baptized, they probably aren't attending. Usually, but not always.
davesudweeks wrote:If one is trying to use a regular class list for the quarterly report data, that can present a problem.
My experience has been that the clerk makes the request to the Primary Secretary to report the number for the quarterly report to him, after giving instructions on how to count.

With the exceptions of age 9+ COR and the CTR 11 class (or any classes that were created by merging with CTR 11), though, printing the birthdate is not needed for the purposes of counting attendance for the quarterly report.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”