"Send A Message" - unable to send to all members

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mtwerner

Re:

Post by mtwerner »

jdlessley wrote:
genman wrote:Right now the Send A Message list does not include anyone with their visibility settings set to anything but full stake visibility.
But that is not the intended functionality. They are working on the bug.
Has there been any progress on this bug fix? I'm tempted to write to everyone in my stake who has their address set to "private" and ask whether I can change the setting, but that seems bad form to ask them to change it because of a bug. However, I also send a fair number of emails to stake members and worry about how many people are unknowingly not receiving them.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: "Send A Message" - unable to send to all members

Post by jdlessley »

Nothing reported yet.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
joelbeevers

Email Permission not Updating

Post by joelbeevers »

We have been trying to send emails to the whole ward through the Leader Resources. We noticed that only email addresses from members that have their email permission set to "Ward Visibility" or "Stake Visibility" would be included in the email. We gained permission from individuals to change their permissions to "Ward Visibility" (it is opt-in in our country unlike in the USA where it is opt-out) and updated them, but even almost a week later the system still does not include some of these addresses in the mass email to the ward. I assumed at first that it was just that the system was slow and needed time for the permissions to go through all the required databases, but it surely doesn't take this long. Any idea what is the problem here and whether it can be fixed? It defeats the point if we have to send emails manually instead.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Email Permission not Updating

Post by aebrown »

joelbeevers wrote:We have been trying to send emails to the whole ward through the Leader Resources. We noticed that only email addresses from members that have their email permission set to "Ward Visibility" or "Stake Visibility" would be included in the email.
[Moderator Note: I moved this post from the Directory forum into the existing topic for this issue in the correct Leader and Clerk Resources forum.]

As you can see from other posts in this topic, what most people experience is that only Stake Visibility allows messages to be sent using the Send a Message feature. Perhaps that would explain why you still can't send messages after you change members' visibility from Private to Ward. I'd recommend that you try changing the visibility to Stake and see if you then can send a message.
ZundelMJ

Post by ZundelMJ »

Today, our stake is looking to use email more. I was looking at 2 ways to send out the emails: from the directory or from Leader Resources. I don't know if this is related to the thread as we have not tried to send a mass email yet. I am seeing discrepancies between the two systems. I am seeing the message "1 recipients have opted out or do not have an email address in Ward Directory / MLS" and not including that individual in my observation.

Without using names, here is what I am seeing:
Using the Directory, I select Sake Young Women Presidency. I then click the link "Email Stake Young Women Presidency Leaders" which generates an email on my local system (Outlook). I can see the president, 2nd counselor, and secretary in the email to field, just like what is shown in the directory.

Using Leader Resources, I click on "Send a Message" which opens a new tab. I then click on Leaders to expand the list of leaders and then "Stake Young Women Presidency" and it gives me the error about one individual that has opted out (understandable for the 1st counselor). The only person listed to be sent the message is the 2nd counselor.

This would lead me to believe that the directory has better information, that is until I compare another organization.

Using the Directory, I select Stake Relief Society Presidency. I click "Email Stake Relief Society Presidency Leaders". I get the President and the 2nd Counselor in the email to field.

Using Leader Resources, I click on "Send a Message", "Leaders, and then "Stake Relief Society Presidency". This gives me the names of the President, 2nd councilor, and Secretary.

Now, I don't know which is working correctly. Both systems seem to have either limitations or bugs.

I did some spot checking with other organizations and found some are exactly the same, while others still are different. I can not find any consistency.

Now for my questions:
1. Does this seem to be related to the original problem?
2. Can someone give me more insight as to how these systems work?
2a. I think I understand about opting out, but I don't know if this plays a role in this issue.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Using Leader Resources Send a Message, I have found that for me it will report those that don't have an email address. If they have marked their privacy as anything other than stake (I don't think it is just the email setting either), then they just 'mysteriously' don't show up in the email list.
mtwerner

Post by mtwerner »

That's not my experience. When it says, "X recipients have opted out or do not have an email address in Ward Directory / MLS," I can click "view all" and it also lists the names of those who are not set to "stake visibility" (I have verified a number of them).
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

mtwerner wrote:That's not my experience. When it says, "X recipients have opted out or do not have an email address in Ward Directory / MLS," I can click "view all" and it also lists the names of those who are not set to "stake visibility" (I have verified a number of them).
That is what my stake clerk sees as well. I'm not sure why it won't show those for me as an assistant clerk, but that is what I found.
dbezzant

Re:

Post by dbezzant »

jdlessley wrote:
genman wrote:Right now the Send A Message list does not include anyone with their visibility settings set to anything but full stake visibility.
This is still a problem, when will this be fixed? I use it all the time to send email to ward council and pec. Be nice to have fixed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Re:

Post by russellhltn »

dbezzant wrote:
jdlessley wrote:
This is still a problem, when will this be fixed? I use it all the time to send email to ward council and pec. Be nice to have fixed.
The church rarely gives that information out in advance. It will be fixed, when it's fixed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”