"Send A Message" - unable to send to all members

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
genman

Post by genman »

rivasj01 wrote:I find that it is easier and more successful when I copy the emails and paste them into a compose email in Gmail.

Where exactly do you copy them from? I tried to copy them from the Send A Message To list, but that just copies the names and not the email addresses? Do you mean you individually look up each person and copy and paste their email address one at a time into a Gmail compose message? If so, that doesn't sound easier.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

genman wrote:Where exactly do you copy them from?

My guess is that he's using the Directory to send emails. The Directory just uses your computer's email client, so it's easy to capture the email addresses. But with the Send A Message feature, you're certainly right that the email addresses can't be captured.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
genman

Post by genman »

aebrown wrote:The Directory just uses your computer's email client, so it's easy to capture the email addresses.

Oh I see that Directory lets you send to some groups under Ward Leaders and Ward Organizations. The list of groups in Directory is significantly less than what is there for Send A Message, though. For example there does not appear to be a way to send a message via Directory to All Members, PEC, Ward Council, etc. Also, many people don't even use an email client but rather just manage email via web page.

I agree that it easier and more flexible to use a distribution list in your email address book to communicate. Given all of the many list types in Send A Message, it should would help in creating distribution lists if there was a copy feature that captured the email addresses. Then could paste that in the To box of an email, whether or not you had a local email client installed.

Might be good for a future enhancement to Send A Message, but probably low priority given all of the other things they are working on.
genman

Post by genman »

genman wrote:Then could paste that in the To box of an email.

Mea culpa. I meant to say by default to paste that into the "Bcc" box of an email, like Send A Message does.

Although for smaller distribution groups, it is sometimes useful to send non-blind-copy if a reply-all is wanted. That's another limitation of Send A Message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I would be concerned about capturing the e-mail addresses from the Send A Message feature in Leader and Clerk Resources for privacy reasons. It is possible that someone capturing e-mail addresses and then pasting them in the "To" line, or "Cc" line of in an e-mail client (this includes web based messaging) could inadvertently do so for members who have set their visibility/privacy setting to private. Most, if not all, of those who have access to Leader and Clerk Resources are leaders that have access to those private e-mail addresses.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
genman

Post by genman »

jdlessley wrote:It is possible that someone capturing e-mail addresses and then pasting them in the "To" line, or "Cc" line...could inadvertently do so for members who have set their visibility/privacy setting to private.
Right now the Send A Message list does not include anyone with their visibility settings set to anything but full stake visibility. In other words, if you change your visibility/privacy setting to be Ward-only or Leadership-only, you cannot receive any messages via Send A Message. Bug or feature, that's the way it works.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

genman wrote:Right now the Send A Message list does not include anyone with their visibility settings set to anything but full stake visibility.
But that is not the intended functionality. They are working on the bug.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sasgrw

Send a Message - Capturing Email Addresses

Post by sasgrw »

aebrown wrote:...But with the Send A Message feature, you're certainly right that the email addresses can't be captured.

That's not completely accurate. Perhaps you can say it's not *easy* to capture email address from Send A Message, but it's not impossible either. When using Firebug on Firefox (F12), you can easily view the html for the webpage after you've clicked on the group you want to send the email to. (This does not work if you use "View Source" in Firefox or Internet Explorer because the html source is generated.)

If you're comfortable with Firebox, you can use the "click on an element" tool (2nd one in the toolbar) and then click on the box surrounding all the email addresses. It you expand the <div> tags you'll see something like

<div class="recipients toggled">
or
<div class="recipients scrolled">

(depending on if you clicked on 'view all' or 'minimize' in the email list box). Under that <div> tag is a very readable list of email addresses that look like

Code: Select all

<span class="recipient" title="[B]foo@gmail.com[/B]">some name</span>
<span class="recipient" title="bar@gmail.com">another name</span>
<span class="recipient" title="baz@yahoo.com">third name</span>
etc

You can copy/paste that list of <span> tags to a simple text editor and do a simple block mark and a few regular expression replacement strings and get a list that you can copy to a regular email program.

Like I said, it's not easy, but it is doable. It sounds like a lot of work, and perhaps it is for the first time user, but I've done this a bunch of times and it only takes about 30 seconds for me to have a final list of email addresses that I can copy/paste.

Your mileage may vary...
DougBrewer

Send A Message

Post by DougBrewer »

What permissions are required to be able to send all members an e-mail blast. I understand as Stake Assistant Executive Secretary I should be able to but it only gives me the options of sending to leaders only? Any help is appreciated Brethren

Doug Brewer
Tallahassee Florida
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

The wikitalks about who has permissions to the leadership portal. "Assistant Executive Secretary (Stake only)" is included. It sounds like you're already getting to the website but that the people you can email is limited.

Are you trying to email all members of the Stake?

(As an interesting asside, try going to the leadership portal > Other (menu) > Access Table. In the "Select a Role" dropdown, choose "Assistant Stake Executive Secretary". You can see all the options you're allowed access to. It only lists the items from the menu. Since "Send a Message" is not on the menu (it's a separate button), you don't see that in the table.)

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”