Handbook 1: Stake Presidents and Bishops:

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:Never having served in a Stake position, I am just curious:

What information does an "Assistant Stake Clerk" need to access in handbook 1? Why isn't the "shared copy" good enough?
As stake financial clerk, I am often wishing I had access to the Finance chapter online, as well as the financial policies related to welfare issues. And as an assistant stake clerk tasked with supporting MLS, I often get questions from wards about various issues related to membership records.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

I guess my question is what is "often." Do you need to access it every day? Weekly? Monthly? As a new bishop, I read it "often." 2 years later, it is "occasionally."

It is of course available on line to me. But I access the on line copy "rarely." I guess I am just trying to see why an assistant stake clerk would need more access than I have: that is, a pdf copy they can make hand written notes on.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:I guess I am just trying to see why an assistant stake clerk would need more access than I have: that is, a pdf copy they can make hand written notes on.

I think you're confusing two different people in this thread. Unless I'm missing something, the person who wanted a PDF copy hasn't said what their calling is.

The person who started the thread is a STS. But as such, has no access on-line.

I can certainly understand that when someone needs access, they need it fairly soon. Trying to track down a treecopy would be time consuming.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

from the opening post:

I used to be able to access Handbook 1 online but now I am unable to. Whenever I click on the link for Handbook 1 it directs me to Handbook 2. Nothing has changed with my calling (Stake Assistant Clerk) any ideas?

???

Yeah, sorry. I think I am confused.

I'll just sit back and read...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:from the opening post:

I used to be able to access Handbook 1 online but now I am unable to. Whenever I click on the link for Handbook 1 it directs me to Handbook 2. Nothing has changed with my calling (Stake Assistant Clerk) any ideas?

???

Yeah, sorry. I think I am confused.
Which was posted by CSnelson. It was his first and last post in this thread.

It was reysonpua who talked about a PDF. If he indicated his calling, I didn't see it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:It was reysonpua who talked about a PDF. If he indicated his calling, I didn't see it.

In post #8 he said, "i can actually just use the online copy . . .", so I would guess he is in a presidency or bishopric, or the clerk, and has access.

Sometimes it seems a local pdf copy would be convenient, but the Church has only provided the option of hard copy or online for the present.
CSnelson wrote:I used to be able to access Handbook 1 online but now I am unable to. Whenever I click on the link for Handbook 1 it directs me to Handbook 2. Nothing has changed with my calling (Stake Assistant Clerk) any ideas?

CSnelson is not dreaming. There actually was a brief moment in time when he had access to both.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of self-publishing a pdf version of Handbook 1. If I self-published my own version of any other copyrighted work I found online I think I would understand I was on shaky ground. Just because the church doesn't put a monetary value on Handbook 1 doesn't mean the same copyright control wouldn't apply. We know the church has always wanted to maintain tight control of the distribution of this book, whether we agree with the strictness of policy or not. If the church wanted anyone to have a pdf copy then it would be available (like the other church publications in pdf form which are provided for anyone to keep on their tablet). We know the church can publish pdf books so if they didn't do it then we should respect their reasoning.

Sometimes I'll watch a popular movie trailer online, embedded in a web page. Some web sites make it easy to download those things to my own computer. Some make it extremely difficult, unless you have the skills/tools to subvert that control. But when you don't see a download button you get the point. And I see this situation the same way. If the church doesn't make it easy to have your own pdf file then that means something.
paulv

Re: Handbook 1: Stake Presidents and Bishops:

Post by paulv »

My calling is stake executive secretary but I cannot access handbook 1. I always get directed to Handbook 2.
Can you help?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

paulv wrote:My calling is stake executive secretary but I cannot access handbook 1. I always get directed to Handbook 2.
Can you help?
We do not have access to the systems to make any changes.

Check with your stake clerk and make sure your calling is correctly entered as a standard position and that it's in the CDOL. Odds are that either your calling is not correctly recorded, or it somehow failed to get transmitted.

jcquade

Post by jcquade »

I am a Branch President. Is there an easy way to access handbook 1 online currently I go through leadership resources on lds.org which is a bit clumsy is there an app I can download to put it into my Gospel Library

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”