Regional Information in new Directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
tmilne

Regional Information in new Directory

Post by tmilne »

Many have asked if Regional contact information can be added to the online directory at the new LDS.org including:

1-Temple
2-Home Storage Center (Cannery)
3-Bishops' Storehouse
4-Regional FM Group
5-Church Distribution Center
6-Temple Garment Order Line

I can create a news and information page when that functionality is made available, but until then, is there a way to include this in the online directory somewhere?

Thanks for your consideration.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tmilne wrote:I can create a news and information page when that functionality is made available

I would note that News and Information functionality is available now, and has been for several years. Don't think that just because the new News & Information module is not yet available, the Classic News & Information module cannot be used. Continue to use the Classic module until the new one is available. The specific contact numbers you mention sound like a great resource to include in a News & Information item.
tmilne wrote:until then, is there a way to include this in the online directory somewhere?

No, the information on the online directory comes directly from the membership records in your ward, and from the leadership callings as specified in MLS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tmilne

Post by tmilne »

Thanks for the quick response.

This information is still available on the classic site, but many members are finding it difficult to find links to that, and are not spending much time there anymore anyway (crickets). Where they really want it is in LDS tools for mobile devices, so they can look up contact information on the move. That's why the directory approach seems like a good fit.

I realize that the directory is currently fed from MLS, but that does not negate the need for other information to be readily accessible and available. Just passed along for you consideration.

Nice Klien bottle logo, BTW. Brings back some nice memories from college...
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

tmilne wrote:This information is still available on the classic site, but many members are finding it difficult to find links to that...
Send them to lds.org/units
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crislapi wrote:Send them to lds.org/units

Or http://wards.lds.org
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tmilne

Post by tmilne »

Thanks. It's not that they can't eventually find it, just that it is not prominent/easy.

The real enhancement request is to include the requested information in the new directory somehow/somewhere, since the information requested is directory like. A news and information page with this info is not likely to garner a lot of hits as most won't think to look there, on the old or the new site. I was looking at that as a stopgap.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”