Non-member spouses in new website directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
RossEvans

Non-member spouses in new website directory

Post by RossEvans »

How do non-member spouses show up in the new website directory?

I have noticed several non-member spouses listed in the new website directory as head-of-household, when they do not appear as non-member spouses in MLS at all.

Where do they come from?

Paradoxically, I also find another non-member spouse listed in MLS as head-of-houseold. He even has an MRN assigned. But on the website he is not listed in the directory or in the household profile. The wife is listed as head-of-household online.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This was discussed in remove nonmember spouse's-name from online ward directory. It is baffling behavior.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

RussellHltn wrote:This was discussed in remove nonmember spouse's-name from online ward directory. It is baffling behavior.

Thanks for the link. I did try searching and browsing the forum before posting, but failed to find that thread.

Not only is it baffling, I think it's potentially pretty serious. Within MLS, clerks are instructed to take care not to list non-member spouses without permisssion, and only when both spouses are known to live at the same address. And MLS is primarily for leadership use. Yet this family data on the website is being published to everyone in the stake with an LDS Account.

The only place I can think of where this data might originate is within the membership record itself, which is ordinarily considered confidential.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I agree. I would have thought that it would have been fixed pronto.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
geek

Post by geek »

So where do we go to raise the issue? Posting on ghe forum isn't going to get it fixed.
Former membership clerk under 3 bishops, now on 2nd stint as executive secretary. Can I go back to teaching priesthood now?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you're experiencing that problem with a individual who wants their name off the directory, then I'd suggest calling Local Unit Support. I have been trying to work with some people in the background but so far I'm not sure as we've gotten though to anyone in a position of authority that this is a problem.

We may have to have a specific individual who is upset to get things moving.

I am speculating that it might help if we re-phrase the problem. Because of the way the data is stored, all systems have to look at the marriage record to determine which (if any) of the household records are the spouse. So saying that the new system "pulls the spouse from the marriage record" isn't communicating the problem (from a programing point of view). The problem is the new directory isn't checking that the spouse is a member of the household before displaying them.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”