Any options to print the directory less wastefully?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Any options to print the directory less wastefully?

Post by rmrichesjr »

Are there any options to print a ward directory more efficiently and waste less paper?

My ward has not grown much since I printed a ward directory in 6 pages from an earlier version of the web-app. With default options, the new web-app takes 16 pages. IMO, that's terribly inefficient in terms of paper and the time it takes to thumb through all the added pages. I already sent feedback, once for the directory itself and once for the help documentation that the description of "a condensed, printer-friendly format" stretches the truth a bit more than is reasonable.

All the options I see in the 'Print List of Households' dialog would increase the amount of information and take even more pages. Or, is there something I'm not seeing that can improve efficiency of formatting of the printed pages?
zaneclark

Re: Any options to print the directory less wastefully?

Post by zaneclark »

We have 369 households and I was able to get it down to 16 pages in LCR, about half from printing from the Directory.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

zaneclark wrote:I was able to get it down to 16 pages in LCR
And I believe even that is at least 10 too many. I wonder if it is an intentional plan to discourage printing of the directory?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

The LCR trick sounds useful for those who have LCR access. Thanks.

Fwiw, I received replies to both my feedback reports: "Thanks for the feedback! Your request has been added to the list for possible inclusion in a future release of Ward Directory and Maps and will be passed on to the designers and engineers."
dehiestand

Post by dehiestand »

The directions currently on this website for "Printing and Exporting the Directory" were last updated 31 October 2016. They contain the current options of Title and Details (names, photos, individual contact details for household members, address, phone numbers). The old 2016 directions also contain the following very helpful options which seem to no longer be available: Font Size, Layout, and Margins. I have several sisters that I minister to, who very much appreciate when I can print out directories for them--they are elderly, poor eyesight, don't have an internet connection, etc. I have printed out large font directories for them many times, in a nice, compact format. Please bring this system of directory printing back and do not get rid of it, until you have a GOOD new substitute method! I just cannot print good directories for my sisters to whom I minister, with the method you currently have available, which means that I definitely cannot minister to them in a "higher, holier way"!
mevans

Post by mevans »

dehiestand wrote:... Please bring this system of directory printing back and do not get rid of it, until you have a GOOD new substitute method! I just cannot print good directories for my sisters to whom I minister, with the method you currently have available, which means that I definitely cannot minister to them in a "higher, holier way"!
Your comment here won't go to people who can make decisions. Please submit your feedback to the Directory feedback. Click on the (?) help icon at the upper-right of the directory. The opens a panel on the left where you'll see a "Send Feedback" link. Click on it and send your message. They really need to fix this; hopefully hearing from more people will get it higher on the priority list. The new directory print is mostly useless.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

I agree completely. I did send feedback. I print for elderly ward members and miss all the options. I always did 4 column
with biggest print. 153 household 6 pages front & back. New one 15 pages front and back. Way too many and too small.
Please be sure to put in feedback so they get enough feedback to change :-)

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”