Households missing from directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
johnsonclark

Households missing from directory

Post by johnsonclark »

When I open the LDS Tools App on my iPad and iPhone, and when I sign in on lds.org, at least two households are missing in my ward and stake directories. When my wife signs in or uses the app the households do appear. I also asked a few others in our ward to see if they had the same issue including a member one of the households. In all cases they were able to pull up the households on the directory. I have re-synced and I even deleted and reloaded the apps with no change in the result. The households are still missing.

Can anyone help?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Households missing from directory

Post by lajackson »

johnsonclark wrote:When I open the LDS Tools App on my iPad and iPhone, and when I sign in on lds.org, at least two households are missing in my ward and stake directories. When my wife signs in or uses the app the households do appear.
My first guess is that these households have set themselves to limited visibility, and that your wife has a leadership calling that still allows her to see them, as do the other members you queried. And no matter how visibility is set, the family will be able to see themselves.
johnsonclark

Post by johnsonclark »

I don't think so...I am on the high council and my wife is a sunday school teacher.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I suggest checking with a ward clerk or assistant clerk to see if they can help figure out the mystery. If nothing else, they might contact the global service center to help figure out the mystery.
aplucinik

Post by aplucinik »

I am being told of a similar problem. Several people have reported that one individual is missing from the ward directory. He is on the stake High Council and he is missing from the stake leaders > High Council list as well. the other 11 high councilors are listed but he his missing. As the stake clerk I can see him without problem so I can't duplicate the issue. At least some high councilors are unable to see him in the list. So, some people can see him and others can't. So, I'm starting to think that lajackson's suggestion that the individual has set himself to limited visibility is a possibility. Maybe I still see him because I am the stake clerk but then you would think other high councilors would be able to see him but at least some of them can't.
Allan Plucinik
Stake Clerk
Colorado Springs, CO
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

When a visibility setting for an individual, or a household, is set to Ward then that individual, or household, is only visible to stake leaders and the individual's ward membership. I believe, but I am not certain, that high councilors are not included in leadership for the purposes of the visibility setting. If the high councilor at issue is visible to some of the high council then I would suspect they are members of the same ward.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
chris.m.cook

Post by chris.m.cook »

I know this is a slightly old thread but it applies to my issue...

Perhaps I’m missing it in all my searches, but is there a place where we can see the EXACT callings that fall under the leadership category? Stake and unit level.

We’re experiencing a similar issue with a family in our stake and knowing those callings would be very helpful in troubleshooting.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Leadership means different things for different people. For example, the bishop and ward clerk will see everyone. If visibility is restricted, most others should not see them. However, in my experience, a Relief Society president will see her RS sisters and an elders quorum president will see his elders. And a member always sees himself or herself.

So it is difficult to neatly define "leadership" in terms of who sees whom in Member Tools (formerly LDS Tools).

My experience tells me that a high councilor is not a "leader" under these settings, so if one HC is seeing someone but another is not, there is probably some other calling allowing it, or more likely as was suggested, he is in the same ward.

The quickest way to solve most of these mysteries is for a ward or stake clerk to look online and determine the actual settings for the individual or family. That should answer most questions.
chris.m.cook

Post by chris.m.cook »

Thanks lajackson, I’ll look into the settings that family has set. Seems odd to me the leadership term has such a nebulous meaning in this situation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

chris.m.cook wrote:but is there a place where we can see the EXACT callings that fall under the leadership category? Stake and unit level.
I can't give an exact list, but I believe the following generalization is correct:

"Leaders" are the bishopric, including executive secretary and clerks. Also included are members of the Ward Council as defined by Handbook 2: 4.4. However, it's possible they might have to go to LCR to see everyone. At the stake level, it would be the stake presidency, including executive secretary and some clerks (I know STS is not included).

Those who are surprised they're not considered "leaders" in this context include the high council, stake auxiliary presidents and ward class room teachers. Of course, custom callings, regardless of what they're named, carry no rights whatsoever.

I believe the underlying issue is that as various countries tighten up privacy laws, what callings are allowed "leader" access must be able to withstand legal scrutiny. As such, access is granted based on how the calling is defined in the Handbook. Does it include responsibility for individual members (either directly or via the ward council)?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”