finding friends in another ward or stake?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
Everettman57

finding friends in another ward or stake?

Post by Everettman57 »

How could i go about to looking up friends in a different ward or stake then mine?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: finding friends in another ward or stake?

Post by jdlessley »

You could use social media or contacts you currently have in those other wards or stakes. But do not expect any way through any church systems. Privacy laws restrict the release of membership information, including contact information, outside your own stake.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Looking in another ward in the same stake is straight forward. On the directory page, there's a drop down list in the upper left to select another ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:Looking in another ward in the same stake is straight forward. On the directory page, there's a drop down list in the upper left to select another ward.
That works as long as the individual is in your stake/district and the individual has made information available to the stake. Otherwise, you need to do as jdlessley suggests. Our ward's Relief Society (I mean a group of women who all happen to go to the same church at the same time...not an official church group) has a mailing list and I believe several sisters that previously lived in our ward are still on the distribution.

If there's an urgent matter, a bishopric member or clerk may be able to help you contact a leader in the desired location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

mevans wrote:That works as long as the individual is in your stake/district and the individual has made information available to the stake.
My biggest frustration is ward leaders who don't publish their cell phone numbers or email addresses in the Directory. For example, when a high councilor or an auditor needs to contact a ward leader, but finds no contact information for that ward leader in the directory, what is he to do? Our stake is hundreds of square miles in size.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
mevans

Post by mevans »

drepouille wrote:
mevans wrote:That works as long as the individual is in your stake/district and the individual has made information available to the stake.
My biggest frustration is ward leaders who don't publish their cell phone numbers or email addresses in the Directory. For example, when a high councilor or an auditor needs to contact a ward leader, but finds no contact information for that ward leader in the directory, what is he to do? Our stake is hundreds of square miles in size.
If you're referring to Stake Visibility vs. one of the lesser settings, I've found that most members don't even know the option exists, and when someone has a lesser setting, it's rarely been intentional. I don't know how their settings became private, as in the US, the default is Stake Visibility, and they didn't know how it was marked private, either. Since I'm a clerk, I've offered to changed it for them (if I wait for them to do it, it might never happen).

I wouldn't hesitate to ask leaders whose information isn't visible to change the settings. If you're not in a position to change it for them, maybe get them to do it while you're with them.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Even when I was the stake clerk, I saw no contact information for some ward leaders. I can't imagine why an executive secretary or a ward clerk would not put their contact information in the directory.
Yesterday, I had to call a couple ward clerks on their home landlines, which of course they never answer. Then I called their bishops, who also did not know the cell phone number of their clerks.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”