Exporting Member Lists to a CSV

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
myjoji

Exporting Member Lists to a CSV

Post by myjoji »

My apologies if this is not the right forum to address this question...
Is there a way to export a directory list from the LDS.org web site, so that it can then be imported to a personal mail client (gmail, in this case)? If so, how is the export process executed?

Thanks in advance for any direction that can be given...

Tom Coe
Oak Harbor 2nd Ward
Oak Harbor, Washington
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Exporting Member Lists to a CSV

Post by russellhltn »

At one time, there was a feature in the directory, but it was restricted to only a few leaders. Most other export functions have been removed for security.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

As of right now it still exists in the Directory (lds.org/directory) but I always expect it to disappear at any time since every other export has been removed. I'm pretty sure it's only available to bishopric members, clerks and the executive secretary.
mevans

Post by mevans »

First of all, make sure your effort to capture these emails in an external email client application is consistent with church policy on membership data (I still struggle to find things in the Handbook that I know are there...maybe someone else will come along with a section reference).

If you're trying to email a Ward Organization group, you have the option to "Email all XXX". Click on it and you can get a comma- or semicolon-delimited list of email addresses. The bad thing is that you don't know who is associated with each email, which may defeat your purpose of getting them in an email program with associated names.

If you want to get the whole ward, you can print a ward directory to PDF. Just do 1 column and show email (and possibly individual details). Copy and paste the contents of the PDF into a text editor. You can clean it up from there to suit your purposes.
Terence

Post by Terence »

I am a membership clerk. There are many reasons why I or a leader would benefit from efficiency of downloading directory data and editing it for various uses that in pursuit of their callings. For instance, we live in a high-turnover ward with ebbs and flows related to university schedules. We are a "town" ward, but have waves of new arrivals and departures. I want to download to Excel and remove columns and lines to remove all but the person or people that I need to contact. And elders president (I've been once twice) from making a list with contact info only of elders he and his counselors want to interview, or etc.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

terence wrote:I am a membership clerk. There are many reasons why I or a leader would benefit from efficiency of downloading directory data and editing it for various uses that in pursuit of their callings. For instance, we live in a high-turnover ward with ebbs and flows related to university schedules. We are a "town" ward, but have waves of new arrivals and departures. I want to download to Excel and remove columns and lines to remove all but the person or people that I need to contact. And elders president (I've been once twice) from making a list with contact info only of elders he and his counselors want to interview, or etc.
I certainly feel your pain, but too many members cannot resist the urge to export lists of membership information and then email or host it on a google drive (etc) in violation of church policy. I think the church is taking the stance that the privacy of the many outweighs the convenience of the few. I'm just a ward clerk in Oklahoma and have no special insight into the workings of the decisions regarding this, but in watching the forum posts for several years and watching as the church has removed export abilities, this is my conclusion. My opinion is just that, though, an opinion...
Terence

Post by Terence »

Well, the techier of us can do a work-around. That's probably what I'll do, although I'm not truly techie. The computer tech just left my home. Made solution to my problems (not with MLS) seem simple.

However, the Church can solve the problem I'm concerned with simply by creating some additional, appropriate lists, even editable lists, within security for leaders.

Thanx for your response.

'
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Custom Reports are not enough?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Terence

Post by Terence »

Lists provided aren't adequate. Not by a long way.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

terence wrote:Lists provided aren't adequate. Not by a long way.
I recommend you provide feedback from the custom report page and identify the kind of custom report you need (what information and columns are needed). Feedback is read and passed to those who make the decisions for what the programmers work on. They may be able to add the selections that will allow you to generate a custom report to your needs.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”