Can't assign new photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mevans

Re: Can't assign new photos

Post by mevans »

I asked the Feedback people about the status and I was told that it was on the list of things for the developers to work on, but given no indication as to when the problem will be solved.

If members upload their own photos, it works. I had some new members move in and they uploaded some photos. As an assistant clerk, I was able to approve them. Unfortunately, it's pretty rare for members to upload their own photos. Most of the ward photos are there because a clerk took them and uploaded them, not because a member did. I do hope it gets fixed soon, though, as I find myself not very eager to take photos of ward members because it's more difficult for me to do my job.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

We are aware of this problem and once our key developers get back from vacations it will get top attention. What is puzzling is that it is only being seen be select users and we haven't found the pattern yet, but as the developers get back we'll crawl through this deeper. Some things we know:
1. All Ward Webmasters can't assign photos. They can upload them. We know what to do here.
2. Some clerks can't assign photos.
3. Some photos can't be uploaded even though they meet size and type criteria. Connection speed and timeout might be involved here. This is being seen by some clerks and some individuals.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

So a temporary work around for a clerk might be to add ward webmaster to his calling?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I just tried Firefox and it worked for me again (although it took a long time to approve, it worked). Chrome still doesn't work. Hopefully I'll get some pictures at church today and I'm going to try Opera and see if that works,
mevans

Post by mevans »

Today I took some photos at church and uploaded them using Chrome. Then I tried different browsers to see if I could use them to assign photos. Here's my experience with assigning (all on a Mac...10.11.5 El Capitan):
  • Chrome: I was able to successfully assign a photo. I was quite surprised, as I haven't been able to do this with Chrome for weeks. That makes me wonder - did my problems have something to do with the uploaded photo instead of it being the browser? I've had an uploaded photo that I haven't been able to assign for weeks using Chrome. It's the one I finally assigned this morning using Firefox.
  • Firefox: I was able to successfully assign a photo.
  • Opera: I was able to successfully assign a photo.
  • Safari: The assignment/cropping interface doesn't work. The frame appears, but the photo never appeared.
I was quite surprised by my results. I didn't expect to have success...at least in Chrome. I thought I had a reproducible problem, but I don't. Maybe I'm starting to understand why this issue is so maddening for the church developers.
mevans

Post by mevans »

This week I tried uploading and assigning more photos. It was a mixed bag: some photos assigned the first time (using Chrome on Mac). Others took a few times in Chrome and they finally worked. I still have one household photo that I can't get to work. They have an existing household photo and I'm trying to put in a new one; I don't know if that's causing a problem with the assignment? Maybe I'll try deleting the existing household photo and see if I have any luck. I'm somewhat hesitant, as I may end up with no household photo.

Also, today, Firefox (Mac) failed miserably; the photo never appeared in the cropping frame, so I couldn't try assigning it. Firefox has worked great on other occasions.

At least the assignment user interface still appears in Opera, but I still couldn't get an assignment to work.

[update]
I tried using the workaround of opening up the family in the directory and selected to change the existing photo. That worked.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

Yes, this is a known problem for some users. We believe this one has been figured out.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Thanks for the update, CrockettDR. I'll give it a try next time I have some pictures (not sure when that will be, but maybe I can re-upload some existing photos.
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

We just released a new version of Directory.
Individual photos should work properly now. Also Assigning should work. If it does not, message and I will try to take a look at the problem.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Just in time for BYU & UVU Fall/Winter semester – very helpful in our stake. Thanks! :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”