Two Building Resource Calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
terrysackett

Two Building Resource Calendars

Post by terrysackett »

We have just found out that the building in which my ward and two others meet has two separate building resource calendars.

One is accessed by going to "Stake and Ward Web Sites", signing in, then clicking on "Resources (e.g., Buildings)".

The other is accessed by going to "Stake and Ward Web Sites", then on the sign-in page clicking "Search for a stake or ward Web site", entering the ward name, clicking it, then going to "Resources (e.g., Buildings)".

These calendars ARE NOT the wards' event calendars. They are both entitled "Treeline Chapel Resource Calendar", but they each contain different calendar events.

This caused a lot of confusion and inconvenience last Friday when two wards thought they had the building for a ward activity. Needless to say, one ward's members were disappointed, and the activities chair was very embarassed.

I don't think it's a good idea to have two resource calendars for one building. Can this be changed?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

SR Ward Clerk wrote:I don't think it's a good idea to have two resource calendars for one building. Can this be changed?
It seems like you left out a step somewhere. If you start with "search for a stake or ward Web site", locate a ward, then click on Resources, you will have to sign in before you can see any resource calendars.

The important thing is to be sure of what page you are on when you click "Resources". Take careful note of what is in the upper left corner -- is it the ward or the stake? And is it the same ward for each of the two ways you are navigating to the Resources?

The reason I ask is that it is possible to have a ward resource, and it is also possible to have a stake resource. These can both be named the same. The stake resource may or may not be assigned to the ward by the stake administrator (even if it is the chapel for the ward). If it is a stake resource not assigned to the ward, then it would not be accessible on the normal user pages (blue) through the ward page. In that case, you could have two distinct calendars that have the same name but different events.

It's even possible that the stake resource is assigned to one or two of the wards in the building, but not all three, which could lead to even more confusion. The important thing is for the stake administrator to see if there is a stake resource, and which wards it is assigned to, and for a ward administrator (which could be the stake administrator) to verify which resources are assigned at the ward level.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

SR Ward Clerk wrote:Can this be changed?
Yes. You need to talk to the stake web admin to clear this up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Alan_Brown wrote:It seems like you left out a step somewhere. If you start with "search for a stake or ward Web site", locate a ward, then click on Resources, you will have to sign in before you can see any resource calendars.
I think what happened is he signed in the first time to see his own LUWS. The second time, he was already signed in. Since the ward he searched for is in his stake, he could access the resource section without having to log in again.
SR Ward Clerk wrote:These calendars ARE NOT the wards' event calendars.
I agree. They are not event calendars but resource calendars. They are used for reserving/scheduling resources like a building.
SR Ward Clerk wrote:They are both entitled "Treeline Chapel Resource Calendar", but they each contain different calendar events.
If that is indeed the case, then it would appear to me that both the ward and stake have created a resource for this building. The one you accessed from your ward's resource section is the stake's resource (it can be shared to any ward in the stake). The one you accessed from the Treeline chapel's LUWS appears to be one they created themselves. I would be curious if you went back and looked at it if there were two resources - the stake's and the ward's - in the Treeline chapel's LUWS resource section.

There may not be but if the two are indeed different, then the stake has not shared the stake resource with that ward and that will certainly lead to confusion and double booking.
SR Ward Clerk wrote:I don't think it's a good idea to have two resource calendars for one building. Can this be changed?
Definitely. Resources are created locally. I would talk to the appropriate ward and stake web admins. It would seem most reasonable to have the ward remove the duplicate resource from their LUWS and have the stake share their resource with them.

The stake can designate anyone to be the resource admin so if that is an issue with the ward, it is easy to accommodate. Hope I understood the problem correctly.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

Alan_Brown wrote:It seems like you left out a step somewhere. If you start with "search for a stake or ward Web site", locate a ward, then click on Resources, you will have to sign in before you can see any resource calendars.

Yes, I did miss that step in my message. The bishop and I have also figured out that the stake has not given admin access to the ward in question, even though they are the agent ward this year.

That is evidently why they are using the only resource calendar that they can access. However, my question still remains. Since this can cause confusion, is it necessary to have both building resource calendars?
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

crislapi wrote:Definitely. Resources are created locally. I would talk to the appropriate ward and stake web admins. It would seem most reasonable to have the ward remove the duplicate resource from their LUWS and have the stake share their resource with them.

I wasn't aware that the stake could create additional resource calendars. Since my bishop is an IT project manager for our gas company, I'll let him know about this and have him take it up with the stake about deleting one of the calendars.

Thanks everyone.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

SR Ward Clerk wrote:That is evidently why they are using the only resource calendar that they can access. However, my question still remains. Since this can cause confusion, is it necessary to have both building resource calendars?
No, it is not necessary, and in fact (as you have discovered) you definitely should only have one.

For a building that is shared among wards, the optimal way to handle this is to have a single stake resource, which is assigned to the wards which occupy the building. Then this resource will show up on the ward pages for all three wards. Regular members will access the resource calendar exactly as if it were a ward resource.

Then the stake administrator assigns one or more resource administrators. Typically, the person in charge of scheduling the building would be one, and then there should be a backup resource administrator (perhaps the ward clerk of the agent ward, but it could really be anyone). These resource administrators go to the stake Web page and then to Administrator Options to administer this shared resource calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”