Beta calendar enhancement wishlist

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jeromer7

Moving from month to month

Post by jeromer7 »

I submitted through Feedback the request for the ability to jump to a specific month/year like you can with the LUWS calendar. I was chasing down a problem with a repeating entry and it was a bit bothersome to be limited to moving forward and back a month at a time.
JLR
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

kisaac wrote:4) is there an "all ward members as editors" option? Or all organization members as editors? This would be advantageous in the case of appointment sign-up, such as tithing settlement or Home teaching PPI's were any member could sign themselves up for any convenient open spot, by adding their name to the calendar?
This idea seems problematic to me. If all ward members are editors, couldn't they just as well delete one person's tithing appointment and schedule themselves in it's place?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nutterb wrote:This idea seems problematic to me. If all ward members are editors, couldn't they just as well delete one person's tithing appointment and schedule themselves in it's place?
In that case, I think it would have to be "anyone add/delete own" rights for the membership with full editorial rights for the regular editors.

BTW, I really like the idea of connecting the editor to a church position. That way editing rights change with a change in calling. The only problem is, I'm not sure how many callings are exposed in the app that the developers have to work with.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

RussellHltn wrote:BTW, I really like the idea of connecting the editor to a church position. That way editing rights change with a change in calling.
I like the idea as well.
RussellHltn wrote: The only problem is, I'm not sure how many callings are exposed in the app that the developers have to work with.
They should have access to all the standard positions.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Another wishlist item...don't "truncate" long titles.

Post by kisaac »

I've always liked the old LUWS calendar feature that didn't "truncate" long event titles.

A long event title such as this:

Christmas in Jerusalem. Ward Dinner Party

would display correctly in old LUWS calendar, both onscreen and printed, scrolling the title to a second line if needed.

The new calendar constricts an event title to one line in month view, and only displays what fits, like this:

Christmas in Jerusalem. War
and may not be understandable when printed, or on-screen without further clicking to pull up the details. (ok. it might not break the word apart, but it's just an example.)

Google calendar has always truncated long titles, and the new beta calendar has followed suit. This makes the new LUWS less useful to me for use in printing copies for ward newsletters or leadership planning meetings, as truncated events often are not understandable. One can mitigate this by printing in the smallest size possible and not using long titles, but this isn't always possible.

I'll add "don't truncate event titles, scroll them if needed to a second line" to my calendar wishlist!
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

nutterb wrote:This idea seems problematic to me. If all ward members are editors, couldn't they just as well delete one person's tithing appointment and schedule themselves in it's place?
I had to laugh!
the image of someone signing up for a worthiness interview, where they will discuss their own moral values with their priesthood leader, by "stealing" a coveted spot of another ward member!:p

valid point, however.
n.oliver

Seconded

Post by n.oliver »

I second this
kisaac wrote: ...
2) Be able to add viewers or editors to calendars based on calling, or class. Currently, you must add viewers one at a time to a private calendar. If you want to add all bishopric, or all ward leaders, or in larger groups like all relief society members it would be very tedious. (not that you would need to make this private, but you might)
Maintaining calendars for different quorums would be a lot easier if privelages were defined by calling instead of simply name. (Much more helpful in membership record volatile wards, like our YSA ward)
n.oliver

Post by n.oliver »

kisaac wrote: ...
A long event title such as this:
Christmas in Jerusalem. Ward Dinner Party

would display correctly in old LUWS calendar, both onscreen and printed, scrolling the title to a second line if needed.

The new calendar constricts an event title to one line in month view, and only displays what fits, like this:

Christmas in Jerusalem. War
and may not be understandable when printed, or on-screen without further clicking to pull up the details. (ok. it might not break the word apart, but it's just an example.)
Looks like a newspaper headline. :)

Also, imagine how...embarrassing to have certain words truncated at certain spots, a light example being 'assume'. (I'm guessing the new restriction is in the database itself [varchar field length or somethin'])
tlrogers

Additional Enhancements...

Post by tlrogers »

A perfect situation would be to allow calendar owners the ability to create user forms to require end users to populate the form to submit an entry with the ability to have list boxes and check boxes.

See attached or http://rogers-famille.com/schedule/ as an example (this is what our stake uses). It submits to the office LUWS resource calendar and populates the following in the description section of the resource calendar entry...

[INDENT][INDENT]Scheduled Date:.. 06-24-2010
Building:.. LGF
Ward:.. CD
Event:.. Court of Honor
Event Date:.. 06-24-2010
Start Time (w/Setup):.. 06:00 PM
End Time (w/Cleanup):.. 09:00 PM
Rooms:.. Gym, Kit
Contact Phone:.. 123-4567
Contact E-Mail:.. ihaveanemail@email.com
Key Needed:.. Yes
Scheduled Via: http://rogers-famille.com/schedule

Additional Details/Comments:..
[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Realizing that this would be difficult....

How difficult would it be to allow the calendar owner the ability to populate a template for the description and then everyone adding events would see the description. Similar to something like

[INDENT][INDENT]Ward:
Event:
Rooms Needed:
Contact Phone:
Contact E-Mail:
Key Needed?:

Additional Details/Comments:[/INDENT][/INDENT]

While this is still free form it would still collect most of the information necessary for those who need to interact with someone who has a reservation as well as knowing what rooms are needed to reduce double-booking.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Attachments
Example.jpg
Example.jpg (15.13 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
psnarula

Post by psnarula »

oregonmatt wrote:...and this brings up a current problem we have with wards from different stakes in a single building. The relevant stake presidencies have had to resort to an external calendar to schedule the building. Viewing approved calendars from neighboring stakes would be very appreciated.
My unit needs this feature. My unit shares a building with a unit from a different stake. We are willing to dump the Google Calendar we use now but it isn't going to happen unless the developers enable this feature.

Return to “Calendar”