Temple Visitor Center events on LDS.org/Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
hedeliusk

Temple Visitor Center events on LDS.org/Calendar

Post by hedeliusk »

I live in the Washington DC Temple District and the missionaries at the Temple Visitors Center frequently posts events on both:
1) https://www.lds.org/locations/washingto ... g=eng&_r=1
2) https://www.facebook.com/WashingtonDCVC/events/

Because some members do not have a Facebook account, or they do not check the LDS.org page, the temple also emails events to mailing lists. However, the Visitors Center is not able to post on LDS.org/Calendar Would it be feasible to enable them to post on the LDS.org/calendar instead?

If that is feasible, there would have to be a decision about the scope of member visibility. Since there's already a church-wide calendar category, I wonder if the easiest solution would be to simply expand that and members could subscribe to temple visitor center calendars at their choosing. All temple visitor centers could be left off by default, but then members could turn on which ones they're interested in. Another solution might be to determine which temple district a member is located in, and then auto-select that for them, but that may preclude the option of subscribing to neighboring temple districts.

This proposed change will enable members to see events easier and it will ease the workload the temple missionaries have of tracking email address changes for their ad-hoc mailing list.

In my case, I have further written scripts to auto-populate events into a Google Document that serves as our Ward Sacrament program using the Export to Google Calendar function and Google Scripts. This will save our program creator the effort of adding the additional events manually.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Temple Visitor Center events on LDS.org/Calendar

Post by russellhltn »

hedeliusk wrote:Would it be feasible to enable them to post on the LDS.org/calendar instead?
I think that's something the Visitor's Center needs to take up with their "upline" (presiding authority).

Naturaly, the stake can create a calendar and call it something like "Visitors Center Activities" and then assign someone within the stake to keep it updated. To allow someone outside of the stake,they'd have to be added as a out-of-unit member before they could be granted access to the calendar. There may be a couple of other hoops as well (such as a calling). Long term, I'd think assigning someone in the stake would be more practical.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”