Arizona - We DON'T change time!

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
geekiemommie

Arizona - We DON'T change time!

Post by geekiemommie »

Hello! We would love if our events didn't change time when DST happens. Someone last night thought scouts was at 8pm instead of 7pm :o

I don't see a setting where we can say we live in AZ?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Arizona - We DON'T change time!

Post by russellhltn »

The calendar adjusts to whatever time zone your device reports to the webserver. You might say the calendar is always on "user" time.

If the device is a phone and near the state boarder, I could see where it might show the wrong time. If that's a problem, I'd suggest going into the device settings and setting it to a fixed time zone instead of "automatic". And if it's already a fixed time zone, make sure the setting is correct.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
geekiemommie

Post by geekiemommie »

My computer is set to Arizona...
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.84 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
And my phone is set to automatic. My hubby checked it on his phone last night and the guy that thought scouts was at 8pm.

I think the church uses the Google Calendar API, and I don't have issues with that when DST happens. So, not sure what else to try?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:The calendar adjusts to whatever time zone your device reports to the webserver. You might say the calendar is always on "user" time.
That is only one of the three variants. But Arizona is problematic, because they do not observe Daylight Saving Time. So when the time changes for everyone else, the Calendar feels obligated to change everything for them, as well.

Another challenge is that the time of an item also depends on where and when the person was located who originally added the item to the calendar. I once loaded a stake calendar while on a business trip, then had to adjust the time of all the events by two hours when I returned. The Calendar was not able to properly compensate for the difference between my location and the home location.

It has gotten better over the years. I haven't seen so much trouble with the DST jump recently, even when everything stays in one location. Except for Arizona and other locations that do not use DST.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:If the device is a phone and near the state border, I could see where it might show the wrong time.
You don't even need to be near the state border...if you live near the Navajo Nation (northeast Arizona), I suppose devices on "automatic" could get tripped up, as the Navajo Nation does observe Daylight Savings Time (and the Hopi Reservation inside does not). I've been reasonably aware of Daylight Savings/Summer Time practices in various parts of the USA and the world due to scheduling IT activities, but I don't think I realized the Navajo Nation differences until this summer when we traveled through northern Arizona.

If you live in that area, I suggest taking a closer look at what's happening with the "automatic" time zone devices. And if you don't live near that area, I don't have any suggestions.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:The calendar adjusts to whatever time zone your device reports to the webserver. You might say the calendar is always on "user" time.
Another challenge is that the time of an item also depends on where and when the person was located who originally added the item to the calendar. I once loaded a stake calendar while on a business trip, then had to adjust the time of all the events by two hours when I returned. The Calendar was not able to properly compensate for the difference between my location and the home location.
I am constantly in different time zones and adding things to the calendar. I have always thought that when scheduling an event, the time should be based on the time where the event s taking place (the building does not change time zones). If, after I schedule it, the calendar wants to show it based on my device's time, that is fine but I am scheduling a building for a time and that should be static. Luckily, I have never had to "fix them" unless I didn't calculate the time zone offset correctly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RBeatse wrote:I have always thought that when scheduling an event, the time should be based on the time where the event s taking place (the building does not change time zones).
Not all events take place in a building.

I forget the number, but there's a number of wards in different time zones that share a building. Apparently, that's why the calendar system is "time zone aware" in the first place.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

I can see that but the building, when it is being used for the event, is still in one of the time zones. I'm sure it only affects me and I have gotten over it (really I have) but it just seems odd to me and I have to know the number of hours different it is when someone says they want the building from 8-10 and I can't schedule it from 8-10 because I am in a different time zone. That's all. Thanks for the response.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

However, the building scheduling is only an add-on to what I see as the calendar's primary purpose: a place for members to see what's happening in their ward. As such, it needs to be the time zone the members use, not what the building uses.

I'd think my enhancement would be to display what time zone is in effect and allow you to change it. Or perhaps allow you to set a "preferred" time zone. The idea of using the device's time to auto-set was a neat idea, but clearly it has created issues.

I think at least the display was in the plans.

RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

russellhltn wrote:I'd think my enhancement would be to display what time zone is in effect and allow you to change it. Or perhaps allow you to set a "preferred" time zone. The idea of using the device's time to auto-set was a neat idea, but clearly it has created issues.
'ZACTLY!!!

Return to “Calendar”