Adding a repeating restriction - doesn't work

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ahancey

Adding a repeating restriction - doesn't work

Post by ahancey »

I am having trouble adding a repeating restriction. I can add a single restriction without any trouble. But if I create a repeating restriction, or edit a single restriction and change it to repeat once a week, it disappears from the restriction calendar completely. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Adding a repeating restriction - doesn't work

Post by aebrown »

ahancey wrote:I am having trouble adding a repeating restriction. I can add a single restriction without any trouble. But if I create a repeating restriction, or edit a single restriction and change it to repeat once a week, it disappears from the restriction calendar completely. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
I just tested it and it still works fine for me. Perhaps if you shared your detailed steps it might be clearer what is going wrong.

One odd idea occurred to me: when you create a repeating restriction (or event), your eye is drawn to the right-hand side of the screen, which is where the red Delete Restriction button also is. Is there any chance you intend to save the restriction (which you would do by clicking the Update Restriction button in the lower left corner), but without reading closely you are clicking the Delete Restriction button instead?
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

TinMan raises his hand...

Been there, done that.

It is like the gas pumps I use all the time. There is an option for printing a receipt. The problem is the "no" button is green and the "yes" button is red.
ahancey

Post by ahancey »

I am positive I am not hitting the delete button, didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. I'll post images below.

Following is the setup for a single restriction, for one block of time and no repetition. I clicked on 'Restrict' when complete.
1-day.jpg
Single Day Restriction setup
(49.21 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
The follow is what shows up on the restriction page...so it worked.
Single Restriction Shows Up.jpg
(32.78 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
When I click on the restriction once, here are the details of the restriction. I'm not sure if it is a problem that the unit indicates 'none'.
Details of Single Restriction.jpg
Details of Single Restriction.jpg (12.73 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
Next, I click the edit button on the restriction info box and make the following changes. Then I click the Update Restriction on the bottom left.
Edit Restriction to Add Days.jpg
(78.58 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
So here is the Restriction Page after Clicking Update Restriction.
Restriction Screen after Change.jpg
(28.88 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
The restriction is gone. It doesn't show up in the following week either.
Next week.jpg
(27.63 KiB) Downloaded 541 times

Am I missing something?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ahancey wrote:When I click on the restriction once, here are the details of the restriction. I'm not sure if it is a problem that the unit indicates 'none'.
Thanks for the details. I can now duplicate the problem. It seems to only apply to "Blocked - Location Unavailable" restrictions, but works fine for restrictions that apply to a unit.

I almost never use Blocked restrictions -- it's almost always better to use an event rather than a Blocked restriction. I say "almost" because there are some valid use cases. But what is it you are trying to accomplish with this restriction? Is there a reason you're not assigning this restriction to a particular ward or the stake?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've passed this along.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rdjamis

Cannot create repeating restrictions

Post by rdjamis »

Hello,

Lately I have not been able to create repeating calendar restrictions. I can create a single restriction. I've tried modifying the single restriction to a repeating restriction but then the restriction disappears. In both cases, after I hit submit(new repeating restriction or modifying existing restriction), nothing is there.

Any ideas?
P.S. I'm a stake exec sec
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Cannot create repeating restrictions

Post by russellhltn »

rdjamis wrote:Lately I have not been able to create repeating calendar restrictions.
I've merged your post with an existing thread on the problem. The developers are aware of it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mwgbell

Post by mwgbell »

Any timeline for fixing this? We usually set up restrictions for all of the buildings in the Stake for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (for ward Mutual nights and ward RS mid-week meetings). The restrictions block the entire building; and all rooms in the buildings. The wards know who has which rooms on which nights; the restriction prevents others from booking the building for parties or whatnot.

I suppose I could create a repeating event, but am concerned that someone might "help" me by adjusting it to the detriment of the wards.

Any other suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mwgbell wrote:Any timeline for fixing this?
Not any that has been communicated to me.

mwgbell wrote:Any other suggestions?
Encourage the wards to create events. That will block off the rooms and as a bonus, place the events on their calendars.

If they encounter an "intruder", have them inform you. But by in large, most people with calendar edit ability will know the "rules" and it probably won't be a problem.

Return to “Calendar”