making Resservations

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: making Resservations

Post by lajackson »

lesleyann wrote:I have no idea...sadly I'm not a techie.
If you click on Help, then select About Internet Explorer (near the bottom of the drop down menu), you should see the version number of your browser.
LesleyAnn

Post by LesleyAnn »

I did a Google search but found nothing that would help. I am waiting to hear back from our stake exec sec who also normally has the ability to 'view restrictions' to see if he is unable to access it as well.
The screen is there, but when I click on 'view restrictions' nothing happens so I cannot get into the calendar even to view it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lesleyann wrote:The screen is there, but when I click on 'view restrictions' nothing happens so I cannot get into the calendar even to view it.
What about the rest of the calendar? Month view, week view, etc?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LesleyAnn

Post by LesleyAnn »

Yes, I can see the stake calendar week / month view, then i go to settings on the left hand side to click on my building (stake center); next step i usually take to go in to to reserve is the now titled 'view restrictions,' but when i click on that nothing happens.

All the steps work up until the 'view restrictions' ; so i am able to see the stake calender events but cannot get to the screen to reserve room/resources.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lesleyann wrote:next step i usually take to go in to to reserve is the now titled 'view restrictions,' but when i click on that nothing happens.
You put the words "view restrictions" in quotes. Perhaps you were just writing from an imprecise memory, but I certainly don't see the word "view" in that item in the Settings menu; it simply says "Restrictions."

I'm not trying to be overly picky, but if you are really seeing the word "view" in that context, then that might be a clue as to what is different about your experience.
lesleyann wrote:All the steps work up until the 'view restrictions' ; so i am able to see the stake calender events but cannot get to the screen to reserve room/resources.
I'd recommend that you embrace the new term "Restrictions," which much more accurately describes what is happening here. If you think that you can use that screen (however it may be titled) to actually reserve rooms and locations, you will be disappointed. All you can do there (and all you've ever been able to do there) is to restrict certain units from scheduling events on those dates/times and locations. Events are the key to successfully booking rooms.

The About Reservations help topic has not yet been updated with the new terminology, but if you read it carefully, it will help you understand the essential differences between Restrictions and Events.
LesleyAnn

Post by LesleyAnn »

My screen does say VIEW Restrictions.

I have no issue with the new term of restrictions. My assignment as the stake building scheduler, set out to me by my stake president, is to reserve rooms/schedule events for two wards plus stake auxiliaries that meet in our building. When a ward wants to reserve a room/hold an event, they must contact me to do it. I realize this might not be the best way but it's the only way we have been told to do it.

It is my understanding that the website is set up to have the individual wards do this themselves, but that doesn't happen in my stake. If I schedule an event for a ward, we do not want it to automatically show up on the stake calendar since it is a ward activity so I schedule/reserve the room for the event, the stake exec sec will put the stake events on that calendar and each ward must put their event on their own calendars.

If there is an easier way...I would love the help on how to do it. Again, I am really not technically gifted in any way so this is proving difficult for me to figure out.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lesleyann wrote:My assignment as the stake building scheduler, set out to me by my stake president, is to reserve rooms/schedule events for two wards plus stake auxiliaries that meet in our building. When a ward wants to reserve a room/hold an event, they must contact me to do it.
Your stake president has given you an assignment based on tradition which cannot be done in the current system. In particular, let me draw your attention to this from the help file:
Reservations take place at the unit level only and do not apply to specific calendars within a ward. Building schedulers can set aside a location or room for an entire ward or stake but not for a particular calendar within that ward or stake.

For example, a building scheduler might reserve the cultural hall for the 3rd Ward. Any calendar editor in the 3rd Ward — from Primary to Relief Society to Scouts and other groups — would then be able to schedule the room. The building scheduler cannot reserve the Relief Society room specifically for the Relief Society calendar.
Furthermore, the reservation will not sync to external calendars. Only events will. So for that RS event, the RS still has to place their event on the calendar. When they do so, then they can set the location. Only THAT will insure that the room is for their exclusive use. And at that point the reservation/restriction is no longer needed, because the room is now blocked off by an event.

And unless there was a blanket restriction in place, that ward could have scheduled the event and blocked off the room by themselves - so your adding of the reservation/restriction is pointless.

If I was in your shoes, I'd arrange a meeting with your stake president and bring him up to speed on the new system so he can adjust your assignment.

The facts are that only events make sense. One person cannot place events on the calendars of multiple wards. The system is designed for each ward to schedule their own events. Restrictions are there to give wards exclusive use of the room at a given time ("ward night"), but isn't a substitute for an event.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lesleyann wrote:My assignment as the stake building scheduler, set out to me by my stake president, is to reserve rooms/schedule events for two wards plus stake auxiliaries that meet in our building.
As a building scheduler (the role defined in the Calendar tool application), you do not have the ability to schedule events. You can schedule events in your ward calendars to which you have been added as an editor. The same is true for stake calendars. But for all other wards you cannot be added as an editor.

These limitations make fulfilling your assignment quite difficult when using the Calendar application.

You can create and manage restrictions. But restrictions only apply to the stake and units. It is not possible to make restrictions for an organization.

You are opening yourself to conflicts if you use restrictions to 'book' rooms, . When you schedule a restriction, you are not alerted about any conflicts with other restrictions. When restrictions are used in place of events on a calendar then, in addition to the limitations russellhltn mentioned, you could inadvertently 'schedule' multiple events for the same rooms, either overlapping in time or at the same time.

Using the Calendar application with a single point of scheduling method is a waste of time. You'd do just as well with a paper and pencil, and you would not get the false sense of security in thinking double booking is not possible. A lot of the added benefits of the Calendar application are not available when using the single point of scheduling method.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
LesleyAnn

Post by LesleyAnn »

Thank you for the input. It seems we need to make some adjustments to how we are doing things.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lesleyann wrote:My screen does say VIEW Restrictions.
Can anyone else share their experience with this?
  • I am most definitely seeing the menu item on the Settings menu as simply "Restrictions" and I can go to that page with no trouble.
  • But lesleyann is definitely seeing the item as "View Restrictions" and she cannot go to that page.
That seems suspicious, and makes me wonder if there is a connection between what you see on the Settings menu and whether you can go into the Restrictions page.

Return to “Calendar”