viewing other ward calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
brett_r_brown

viewing other ward calendars

Post by brett_r_brown »

Are there plans to make it possible to view other ward calendars? This would be helpful for stake callings and also for buildings with multiple units.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: viewing other ward calendars

Post by russellhltn »

You can currently view events taking place at a given building by switching to week view.

I don't think we know what the plans are for seeing the actual calendars. The policy and priorities are set by the Priesthood Department.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

brett_r_brown wrote:Are there plans to make it possible to view other ward calendars? This would be helpful for stake callings and also for buildings with multiple units.
If you search the archives, you should be able to find a few conversations about this topic. The Calendar works differently then what most people are accustomed to. If your situations are different than what some other people have discussed, it would be good to follow up here with what you're trying to accomplish with by viewing other wards' calendars. If we know what you're trying to accomplish we might be able to suggest some options. There are some scenarios I'm aware of where it would be convenient to have shared ward calendars, but that can generally be taken care of by a stake calendar.
brett_r_brown

Post by brett_r_brown »

I'm not having any success in the archives. One of the situations that I'm referring to is when stake officers are trying to calendar events they can't see all of the ward events that could conflict with events that the stake is holding.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

brett_r_brown wrote:I'm not having any success in the archives. One of the situations that I'm referring to is when stake officers are trying to calendar events they can't see all of the ward events that could conflict with events that the stake is holding.
Anyone (including stake officers) can currently look at all the events that take place on any calendar (ward or stake, public or private) as long as that event actually reserves some room in a building in the stake. That's not perfect, since there could be some events that take place at some other location (e.g., a fireside at a member's home, or a youth activity at some external location), but it should show you 90+% of the possible events taking place at any time.
mevans

Post by mevans »

brett_r_brown wrote:One of the situations that I'm referring to is when stake officers are trying to calendar events they can't see all of the ward events that could conflict with events that the stake is holding.
Sorry you weren't able to find anything with search. Sometimes it's a pain finding things. Others have brought up this same scenario. aebrown provided some tips that can help with your situation, but bear in mind that the calendar shouldn't completely replace human interaction; you'll still need to check with the units to verify you don't have conflicts.
rich

Post by rich »

Is this thread still alive?

Another reason to make 'other' unit calendars view-able by members within the same stake is the corner-case where a member is invited to attend another units calendared event (i.e. 1 unit doesn't have a YM/scouting program, a 2nd unit does, and the youth from unit 1 is 'invited' to attend the 2nd unit's YM/scouting program). I suspect this can be a common occurrence for north east and international units...

With the current unit calendar viewing limitations - the parent in unit 1 can't see unit 2's calendared events. Lots of email interchange across units is an option but a unified calendar to plan from is much cleaner...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rich wrote:Another reason to make 'other' unit calendars view-able by members within the same stake is the corner-case where a member is invited to attend another units calendared event (i.e. 1 unit doesn't have a YM/scouting program, a 2nd unit does, and the youth from unit 1 is 'invited' to attend the 2nd unit's YM/scouting program). I suspect this can be a common occurrence for north east and international units...
That happens even in Utah. The recommended procedure is to use a stake calendar. See this post.

Return to “Calendar”