Reservation Issue - Rooms in use are able to be double booked

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
tomjoht

Re: Reservation Issue - Rooms in use are able to be double b

Post by tomjoht »

the fact that you can schedule a conflicting reservation is a bug.
Actually, building schedulers are allowed to create conflicting reservations in the calendar. This seems like a bug but is actually not logged as such. The help does state:
Although the calendar doesn't allow calendar editors to double-book the same location at the same time, the same rules don't apply to building schedulers creating reservations. When you schedule a reservation, you are not alerted about any conflicts with other reservations or events.
I'm not sure why the calendar was programmed this way. I'll log it as a bug, but rather than fixing this, I think it will be addressed with the revamp of the way reservations works in the calendar. That update is coming but I don't have specifics yet, as the teams were focused on other things toward the end of 2012.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnsonth wrote:
Although the calendar doesn't allow calendar editors to double-book the same location at the same time, the same rules don't apply to building schedulers creating reservations. When you schedule a reservation, you are not alerted about any conflicts with other reservations or events.
I'm not sure why the calendar was programmed this way. I'll log it as a bug, but rather than fixing this, I think it will be addressed with the revamp of the way reservations works in the calendar. That update is coming but I don't have specifics yet, as the teams were focused on other things toward the end of 2012.
Um, make sure we can still create reservations that "conflict" with events. Warnings are OK, but if we have to adjust the reservation, we don't want to have to clear the calendar to do it.

Reservations that conflict with each other sounds like a bug.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jeffreychristensen

Post by jeffreychristensen »

What about stake administrators. Can we schedule events overtop of reservations for stake events? We are researching a double booking situation in our Stake where I either booked an event at the same time as a ward event for the same time and place or I booked over top of a reservation. Either way I can't see the second activity even in the weekly view.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jeffreychristensen wrote:What about stake administrators. Can we schedule events overtop of reservations for stake events?
Just as stake administrator? No. But a Building Scheduler can book a event overtop of a reservation. And a stake admin can make themselves a Building Scheduler. Note that only a Building Scheduler can create a reservation.

jeffreychristensen wrote: We are researching a double booking situation in our Stake where I either booked an event at the same time as a ward event for the same time and place or I booked over top of a reservation. Either way I can't see the second activity even in the weekly view.
Since the second activity isn't in the weekly view, I suspect:
- You don't have that location checked off to view all events at that location.
- The second event either didn't schedule a location or used "Other Location".
- The second event somehow got deleted.

Note that a Building Scheduler can edit event booked at their location. So it's possible they altered the second event which allowed your event to be scheduled.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:
jeffreychristensen wrote:What about stake administrators. Can we schedule events overtop of reservations for stake events?
Just as stake administrator? No. But a Building Scheduler can book a event overtop of a reservation. And a stake admin can make themselves a Building Scheduler. Note that only a Building Scheduler can create a reservation.
Are you sure a Building Scheduler can create an event? The scheduler for our stake center has told me repeatedly that she can only create reservations -- she has never been able to create an event. I tend to agree with her, since she is not an editor for any stake calendar.

Dana
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:Are you sure a Building Scheduler can create an event? The scheduler for our stake center has told me repeatedly that she can only create reservations -- she has never been able to create an event. I tend to agree with her, since she is not an editor for any stake calendar.
It is my understanding that a Building Scheduler (with that sole function) can edit or delete an event, but not create an event

Building Schedulers who can do more than that have also been added as a Calendar Editor or are by some other means an Administrator.

Someone will come along shortly and correct me if I misunderstand or if it has changed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
Just as stake administrator? No. But a Building Scheduler can book a event overtop of a reservation.
It depends on what is meant by "reservations for stake events." If you mean that a building scheduler created the reservation and designated the stake as the unit the reservation is intended for, then certainly a stake administrator (or any stake calendar editor, for that matter) can schedule an event on top of such a reservation.

But if the reservation is for one of the wards (or a "blocked" reservation), then the answer of "no" is correct -- being a stake administrator confers no special powers to override reservations. Only a building scheduler for the location associated with the reservation has those special powers.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Um, make sure we can still create reservations that "conflict" with events. Warnings are OK, but if we have to adjust the reservation, we don't want to have to clear the calendar to do it.
I would second that. I was concerned when johnsonth implied that it was some sort of bug that a reservation was allowed on top of an event. That's not a bug at all; it's useful as russellhltn just explained, and it's also a logical necessity: if a building scheduler can put an event on top of a reservation, he/she should be able to accomplish that same result in reverse order and put a reservation on top of an event.
jeffreychristensen

Post by jeffreychristensen »

What we think we are seeing is a stake admin (me), with building scheduler rights who was able to set up a stake event overtop of a ward scheduled event or reservation created by the building scheduler without admin rights.
I will have to check to see if for sure it was a reservation or if it was an event. She tells me she selected the same rooms I selected but I didn't see it nor was I given a warning when I set up the event.
I still don't see it. But she can see both.
I'll get more info and post it later.
This thread has been very educational.
Thanks to all who have posted.
Now go have a Merry Christmas.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Are you sure a Building Scheduler can create an event? The scheduler for our stake center has told me repeatedly that she can only create reservations -- she has never been able to create an event.
If they are JUST a building scheduler, no, they can't create an event. But there's nothing to prevent an admin from giving them calendar editor rights (or holding a calling that automatically gives them editor rights to some calendar).

In fact, it's probably a good idea to give them some editor rights so they can create events for private functions.

A Building Scheduler with other Building Scheduler rights has no choice but to use Reservations to accomplish their tasks - and as we've repeatedly stated - using reservations in place of events is a bad idea and will eventually come back to bite you.

Return to “Calendar”