What is happening to the text in the Create Event Description field

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Getting line breaks to stick in event description

Post by lajackson »

To my knowledge, there is not a way at present that works. This is a request that has been made to the Calendar developers.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Getting line breaks to stick in event description

Post by aebrown »

wgharper wrote:Did a couple searches and didn't see an answer to this...

I'm wondering if there's a way to input line breaks into event descriptions.
[Moderator note: I moved your post into the existing topic covering this issue.]

According to this post, the bug is acknowledged and on the list to be fixed, but we know no details about when that might happen.
wxrwxr

Re: What is happening to the text in the Create Event Descri

Post by wxrwxr »

It has been more that a year since this problem was first reported. The fix is simple. Just eliminate the code that removes user's "new-line" characters. Hopefully this can be accomplished soon so the the description field can be a powerful function of the calendar.
wxrwxr

Post by wxrwxr »

You can use the sequence <br> to input line breaks into event descriptions. For example the entry:
1. Jerry Setup<br>
2. Jim Salad<br>
3. Bill Main Dish<br>
4. Joe Desert<br>
5. Dick Cleanup<br>

will show as:
1. Jerry Setup
2. Jim Salad
3. Bill Main Dish
4. Joe Desert
5. Dick Cleanup
in the "mouse over" window in the calendar for the event in "Month" mode.

The <br> characters will still show in the "Edit Event Details" window but it is still much better that having it changed to:
1. Jerry Setup 2. Jim Salad 3. Bill Main
Dish 4. Joe Desert 5. Dick Cleanup
jbowne

Post by jbowne »

Is there any update to this issue? As a stake presidency member I put our temple recommend schedule on the stake calendar and get quite a few questions as to when and where interviews are held as members are confused when and where we will be because "the calendar description is too confusing.

we really need to enable some basic formatting. Any update is appreciated.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

jbowne wrote:As a stake presidency member I put our temple recommend schedule on the stake calendar and get quite a few questions as to when and where interviews are held as members are confused when and where we will be because "the calendar description is too confusing.
Why put the when and where in the description when you can use the date, time, location and room sections when scheduling your event.
wxrwxr

Post by wxrwxr »

The point of his post is not what he is entering but that the description field should not be re-arranged by the system. There are many reasons to use the description field but clear entries become confused when scrambled by the system. This limits the functionality of the calendar.
jbowne

Post by jbowne »

Gary_Miller wrote:
jbowne wrote:As a stake presidency member I put our temple recommend schedule on the stake calendar and get quite a few questions as to when and where interviews are held as members are confused when and where we will be because "the calendar description is too confusing.
Why put the when and where in the description when you can use the date, time, location and room sections when scheduling your event.
Thanks wxrwxr - you are correct there is a fundamental issue with the text in the description field that causes confusion in members when more than a couple sentences are entered or if you attempt to use some text structure like bullet points to make things quick and easy to read and understand.

To answer your question Gary - I do put in the location / date of the temple recommend interview - however to help the members I put in the entire schedule for the month into the description of each entry. this way a member has another way to understand the schedule. The mashed up text is causing more issues than benefits right now. Is there any schedule to get this corrected? I don't feel this is an improvement request - it is more of a bug request, but that is my opinion. Thanks!!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jbowne wrote:Is there any schedule to get this corrected?
No. We rarely get a schedule of any kind. And this thread is now 7 months old.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jhowell2000

Post by jhowell2000 »

I would also like to see this problem fixed. I have submitted feedback on lds.org, but thought I would put my 2¢ worth here as well. I appreciate the suggestion by wxrwxr to include code for line breaks and also agree that while the <br> isn't ideal it is better than the jumble we get otherwise.

Return to “Calendar”