Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
Eric84

Re: Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Post by Eric84 »

Hi Joe,

Its been awhile since we have had an update. Were you able to have any luck getting an official project going? Thanks!
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

Another professional windows developer volunteering his time. We could create a library that's compatible with windows phone and windows RT and have you an app in no time.

In the mean time, is there at least a web service I can use to request LDS material like the scriptures and media?

looking at the army of volunteers you've got for a windows app, if you gave us access to a service we could write a killer app with a $0 budget :)

Since they're being slow, does anybody want to start writing an app with me? We could probably make it support the files from the old fashioned scripture readers I've seen.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

EricBowman wrote:does anybody want to start writing an app with me? We could probably make it support the files from the old fashioned scripture readers I've seen.
Please see the topic Gospel Library for Windows 8. There you'll see that user joe_coolish has already begun such an effort, although it's been a month since his last post on the topic.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

Thanks again for the Link Mr. Brown. I'll send a message to Joe, but that effort's looking a little dead.
joe_coolish

Post by joe_coolish »

Just as an update, I posted over on my other thread the response from the Church I received, with regards to permission to use the Gospel Library content.

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=15961#

I would love to have help, but unfortunately I haven't received permission to make the app yet.

Once I do, I will reopen my TFS to everyone that wants to help!
jaycenornin

Post by jaycenornin »

So I upgraded to Windows 8 on day 0 and bought a W8 phone in January. Love the platform. I love the Gospel Library WP app as it currently stands. I hate the lack of features or poor implementation of features compared to the iOS app.

So I came on here to see if I could help with the development and I find that it seems to be a dead project and a bureaucratic mess. Tons of community interest, tons of member developer support, but no support from the church.

I came expecting to find a free system. It looks more like Clu has taken control of tech.lds.org. I don't want to harass anyone, but at this point - who do I have to harass to get some kind of official response as to why Windows development is being blocked?

I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm murmuring. I am. But it's terribly frustrating and all we want is to study our scriptures and lesson manuals.
Mrb53

Post by Mrb53 »

http://alumnihighschool.net/pc/ has a wonderful app that will run on Windows 8....tablet, pc, phone, doesn't matter. Since alot of it is web based, you will have to download to make available if you have no internet connection at church
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

The would be a good work around for a Surface Pro or other Windows 8 devices, but not for Windows RT devices like the Surface RT, etc.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

back in the palm pilot days there were scripture readers that used some sort of text file, is it against the rules to use those?
jaycenornin

Post by jaycenornin »

I've thought about that, you can get an XML breakdown of the scriptures with no problem. But that precludes including General Conference back to 1971 and streamed audio. It also may violate church copyrights unless you use a much older edition.

Return to “Mobile Development”