Temple Recommends via Mobile App

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Temple Recommends via Mobile App

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:The only security concern I can think of that's different from paper recommends is that there will be a "copy" of your recommend on any device that's logged into your LDS Account
I'm thinking that if it's a screen, it would be easier to forge than a paper recommend.

If it were my choice, the screen would have something that shows that it's "live" (such as time in UTC) and requires that someone use their PIN or do a logon just before showing it.

I'd think another concern would be that if it's on LDS Tools and paper, then there's two copies floating around. That would make it easy to loose track of one of them. Perhaps you would have to choose which one you want when you have your interview.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
steele7

Post by steele7 »

I think when it scans, a picture of yourself comes up on the screen, similar if they were looking at your DL so it confirms its you in that way. I am not sure what comes up when they scan the paper form. Again, there are probably better ways to do this but I am just thinking as we go along. I certainly don't have the best answers as I am not a developer.

I would think you wouldn't have 2 copies. You would have one or the other but not both. That wouldn't make any sense. Much harder to lose your phone than a little white piece of paper. And since it would be tied to your account, if you do lose your phone, break it or when upgrading, the recommend stays unchanged within your account.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Our bishopric wants to take and upload photos of everyone in the ward to the ward directory. However, I and many other members would decline that, and refuse to have our photos taken.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
steele7

Post by steele7 »

Why not? Only members of the ward and stake (for those that use the app) can see photos.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

For what they are worth, here are some thoughts I have had while reading through this thread.

LDS Tools would be an appropriate place to make the suggestion. It will eventually make it to the product manager for that product. It will not be the first time the suggestion has been made.

This adds a new point of failure beyond lost or forgotten recommends: my battery is dead. It could also create potential issues for some users who are visiting foreign countries (devices automatically roaming when turned on, etc.).

This is actually a much broader project than just the mobile apps team. The technical work would involve at least four different teams and more than two dozen people who work on the various systems that would be affected. That doesn't count those who would be responsible for setting the initial requirements, approving the change, etc.

I leave my phone in the car when going to the temple.

This would have solved the issue when we were out of town last week, ended up with some extra time near a temple, and didn't have recommends with us.

This introduces a new concern with sync where a member has an updated temple recommend but hasn't done an LDS Tools sync to get the new recommend information.
steele7

Post by steele7 »

Thanks for your thoughts. I am sure it has been suggested before and I am sure there are pros and cons and that it goes both ways. I am also sure the work effort for something like this is by no means small. I just see how it would benefit many people.

Are paper recommends completely fool proof? Of course not, which you noted. Had you had your recommend on your phone, no issues. Syncing takes a minute or so. Nothing will be without its issues. But with the way things are headed in a technological sense, I think it is just a natural transition. Who would have thought 5-10 years ago that we would be able to pay our donations online?

This also could be rolled out region by region or have beta locations to test before rolling out it church wide. I am sure the international thing could be worked out as well. I don't see that as an issue but could have some speed bumps.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

steele7 wrote:Had you had your recommend on your phone, no issues.
Well, there would be the minor issue that I was in shorts and a T-shirt -- not typical temple attire.
jtjacks

Post by jtjacks »

An RFID chip in your hand to enter the temple? Maybe along with facial recognition? I don't see it - too close to Revelations 13:16.
(OK, just kidding).
mtui_jr

Post by mtui_jr »

Try taking a picture of the bar code and recommend . That may work.

Return to “Mobile Applications”