LDS Reverent Mode (Android only)

Oliver84

Re: LDS Reverent Mode (Android only)

Post by Oliver84 »

Mikerowaved wrote:I installed the app and checked it when I got to church. Sure enough, it put my phone on vibrate, which was my option. While still at church, I accidentally bumped the volume button which overrode your app and put it back on ringer. Nothing I did could get your app to change my phone back to vibrate. I even powered down my phone and powered it up again, but it still showed the ringer was on. I didn't have a chance to uninstall and reinstall the app to see if that fixed it, but that was next on my list.

Galaxy S5
Android 6.0.1
The app worked as expected in your case. It saves the current state before changing your ringer and will remember this even if the phone is powered off. The app will not get triggered again until you leave the chapel. Which is when it will return to the state which was saved. I did this for a few reasons but mainly, if you change your ringer manually, I'm going to assume you did this on purpose and need the ringer on during church so I don't want to override your decision.

Your assumption was correct though, if you uninstalled and reinstalled, it would forget that you're already walked into church and would put your ringer on vibrate but ideally you would just set the ringer back to vibrate if it was manually taken off of vibrate. Hope that makes sense
Oliver84

Post by Oliver84 »

russellhltn wrote:Well, somehow Android still searches and finds wifi automatically. Perhaps you can check what network the phone is attached to.
The app isn't dependent on the user connecting to a specific network. It depends on nearby SSID's to cover any members that do not automatically connect to the church's wifi. I'm looking into just having a job scheduler but need to do some testing on how that will impact battery life. This only affects users with Android 7.0 which isn't super popular right now but will be gaining a lot of ground this year so it definitely needs to be address soon.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Oliver84 wrote:The app isn't dependent on the user connecting to a specific network. It depends on nearby SSID's to cover any members that do not automatically connect to the church's wifi.
I realize that may not be the way you wanted it to work, but it does provide a measure of functionality for those with 7.

But first, are you sure that's a function of 7? The reason I ask, is looking at my settings (pixel/7.1), there is still the option of using nearby SSIDs as part of the location services. So I doubt if 7 would have turned off that background scan. However, depending on the location settings, you may not have the background scan. For example, it may not be there if the phone is set for "GPS Only".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Oliver84

Post by Oliver84 »

russellhltn wrote: But first, are you sure that's a function of 7? The reason I ask, is looking at my settings (pixel/7.1), there is still the option of using nearby SSIDs as part of the location services. So I doubt if 7 would have turned off that background scan. However, depending on the location settings, you may not have the background scan. For example, it may not be there if the phone is set for "GPS Only".
It seems that what changed was that Android won't let you do listen for network changes in the background anymore. It needs to be in the main thread which won't help because I don't expect people to have this app open for it to work. https://developer.android.com/topic/per ... ity-action

What they suggest is using jobscheduler to schedule the task instead. I'm testing this right now and it seems to be working. I just need to test a few edge cases before I post an update. I was afraid of battery consumption doing this but the point of the jobscheduler is to minimize battery consumption so let's hope it works.

This would also fix the issue you mentioned with people having their phone set to "GPS Only" as it would not depend on any background wifi scans that the system does automatically.
tcrollins

Post by tcrollins »

What availability is planned for the iPhone/iPad community?
Oliver84

Post by Oliver84 »

As soon as Apple gives us access to the ringer programmatically, I'll make an iOS version. As of now, they won't allow this type of app in the Appstore

Return to “Mobile Applications”